Sunday, July 29, 2007

Paris!

Sorry about the radio silence. I was very, very focused!

By this morning I had my heel knit, and at 7pm CDT I rolled over the cobblestones on the Champs ElyseƩs at last:

Anniversaire!

My apartment is dirty, my sheets are still in the dryer, the carpet needs vacuuming and I haven't had a bath today, but my goodness me, I have my Sockapalooza socks finished.

Pattern: Chausettes L'Anniversaire (Anniversary Socks) by Nancy Bush
Pattern Source: Favorite Socks
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, Aqua, about 1.5 skeins
Yarn Source: Haus of Yarn, Nashville
Needle: 2.5mm INOX Express

Thoughts: This was a very easy pattern to master. It was interesting enough to keep me on my toes (so interesting that I had to put it aside during mountain stages because I couldn't watch the crowds and the race and knit at the same time). I never like the photos that appear with Nancy Bush patterns, but by the time I finished the cuff I knew this one was going to be special. It was an exactly right confluence of yarn, needles, pattern and knitter.

Modifications: I worked the LC2 stitches on all odd-numbered rounds. The pattern doesn't say this. Apparently there are errata, but I still haven't found them.

I didn't work an eye of partridge heel flap - I found it too short and stiff in these needles with this yarn. I did a modified version of the LC2 pattern from the cuff: over 32 stitches, sl1, *LC2, k2 across. For the reverse, sl1, purl to end. I turned the heel starting with a WS row, as is my usual habit of late - I don't like the little wing-things you get when you start on a RS row and I am NOT cutting the yarn at a heel.

Everything else, I worked as written. The socks are a total of 12 lace repeats long. They will stretch up farther on my pal than they do on me, if she wants.

I can't say they were easy - they were quite a challenge with a wrist brace and a huge freelance job thrown into the mix...but they do the trick!

Please, please, join the knitalong next year if you like cycling! This was SO much fun and Deb and Meg did a super job of explaining cycling, explaining le Tour and keeping track of everyone!

Je t'aime, Paris. Je t'aime, monsieur du maillot jaune (No spoilers from me!).

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look great! The solid colour shows the pattern perfectly.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Lovely!! Yay for finishing!

8:14 PM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

These really really do look great! And hey, you do your toes just like I do!

12:49 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

I'm thrilled to see your finished socks - they are beautiful!
It was great to meet you via the KAL, I'll be sure to stay in touch. So happy you enjoyed yourself!

3:42 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Fantastic socks! I've enjoyed following your progress.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Lori in Michigan said...

MMMmmm...Yummy socks!
They're added now to my "queue"!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Probably Jane said...

Those are very pretty socks - congratulations!

9:42 AM  
Blogger smelk-o-matic said...

Very nice! It would be hard for me to give those away.

Smiles,
Erin

3:36 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Beautiful! Great combination of colour and pattern!

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home