Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cracked - a rant

Because y'all asked...

Cyclist Alexandre Vinokourov withdrew from the Tour today after failing a drug test. He was found guilty of blood doping. Very odd kind of doping, but it makes sense - you inject someone else's blood into your body and the addition of more red blood cells makes your oxygen uptake greater, thereby giving you a physical advantage.

What do I think about it? It's cheating.

It's wrong and Vino should be banned from cycling and stripped of his two stage wins this week, fined appropriately and remembered as a guy who tried to win by cheating.

What do I think about Astana withdrawing? It's a shame for Andreas Kloden. He was looking good and sitting pretty high in the GC.

What I really think about Vino is that CS Lewis was right when he talked about selfishness being the form of pride that tends to most overtake humans. I think it's sad for Vino (that he got to the point where he felt that was an option) and sad for cycling.

What do I think about Michael V*ck? Absolutely detestable behavior, IF TRUE, and he'll be a distraction to the NFL and the team until it's proven one way or the other. I heard on local sports radio that federal indictments are usually rock-solid, so it doesn't look good for him. Soaking a dog with water and electrocuting it makes me so angry I can't actually form a complete sentence. And when you purposefully do that to the dog who turns out to be a sweet dog and not mean enough for your fights? It's pathetic. Absolutely unconscionable and pathetic.

What I really think, though, is that until certain athletes decide that impressing their fans and teammates is more important than proving to some people back home that they haven't sold out, this kind of thing will not go away.

Which also makes me sad. It seems Vino has cracked, but not in the way we thought he would. And he hurt a lot of people in the process. We'll see what happens with Vi*k.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

V*ck, yet another jerk who had it all and just threw it away.

But you forgot Mz L*han....another waste.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Well said. I cannot even think about Vi*k. It's enraging. Incredibly.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My family owns three pit bulls, and they are the sweetest-natured dogs ever, and anyone else who owns them will tell you the same thing. The amount of intense abuse it takes to turn those dogs permanently mean is staggering, and I have nothing but absolute loathing for the people who do it. I can't even fathom what's so appealing about brutalizing an animal until it kills other animals-- and then using it for money. Sick.

I hope he gets jail time, a whole lot of it, and is permanently banned from the N*F*L.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Would it be overly conspiratorially minded of me to wonder whether the entire team withdrew so quickly because they all knew something they shouldn't?

Anyway, keep dancing on your own pedals.

I'm so glad I have not heard of this V*ck person before!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

I think the appropriate punishment for V*ck is putting him in a little tiny pen and shocking him repeatedly with a cattle prod....just a tiny taste of his own medicine!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Mistrmi said...

Vick should be banned from the NFL, and imprisoned. (Can they soak federal prisoners in water and. . .?)

I found out about the oxygenated blood doping from an episode of "House."

Vine ripe tomatoes save the day!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Erin Taylor said...

The recent sports related news has been so depressing... all you hear is doping, steroids, and dog fighting on ESPN radio.... No wonder why a record turn out is expected at Cooperstown this weekend (I will be 1 in 8000 or so Baltimore travelers!.
At least there is a guy who worked hard and played well on his own!

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home