Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Because I am geeky like that

I would like y'all to know that I am one of 3 (three) people who bought and downloaded an album of Strauss waltzes from the iTunes Music Store, and that I have been listening to the Artist's Life waltz over and over again as I walk over to the exercise bike. So, 10-minute walk there? Check. 10-minute walk home? Check. Geeky, but it works for me.

The other point of total geekiness is my new book, "Isaac's Storm," written by Erik Larson, who also wrote "The Devil in the White City" which kept me very entertained a couple of years ago. That book is about the Chicago World's Fair of 18-mmhm (terrible memory) and the first serial killer in America, who was rocking some terribly creepy pre-Nazi prototypes of ovens and killing women who boarded with him at his gigantic house in Chicago. It's an odd premise, but a very good book.

This book, however, is about the September 8, 1900 hurricane that wiped out Galveston, TX. Isaac (Cline) was the weatherman, and he went on to the weather station in New Orleans and got involved in the kerfluffle about whether or not to blow up the levee at St Bernard's Parish and flood the area south of New Orleans to relieve the city from threat during the Mississippi flood of 1927. Cline was a voice of reason, and the Galveston hurricane explains much of his caution - but I won't give it away. Meantime I am learning all manner of geekery about hurricanes, history and...well, y'all know. I am a second-generation weather fan, and I've ridden out several tropical storms and Hurricane Jeanne. So I can't get enough.

Anyway, what are you reading and listening to? Nosey parkers want to know! (Knitting later.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a geek with you! I loved Issac's Storm. Just found "The Devil in the White City" in my shelves...sad, but true. Never too many books...just never enough time for orgainizing! Just finished reading "The Heart of the Sea" about the whaleship Essex. (Nathaniel Philbrick)...Listening to my all-time favorite Prince. Inspires me to walk faster on the treadmill and shake my booty while I'm doing it!!!!

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked Devil in the White City, I'll have to check out Isaac's Storm. Right now I'm reading Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky - really beautifully written.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

We have different tastes... I was given the Devil in the White City for christmas last year and just couldn't stand it. In my life I've only put down a handful of books part-way through and that's one of them! I'm more of a fiction lass myself (though I agree that the story of the murders in White City was so unreal it could be fiction!) and at my side right now is Claire Messud's The Emperor's Children.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I've read "Devil in the White City" and "Isaac's Storm" is on my shelf. Right now I am reading vacation fluff - 'Changeling' by someone whose last name is Galenorn (sorry, the book isn't withing reach at the moment). It's the second in a fantasy series about three sisters who are half-fae (the first book was "Witchling").

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home