Monday, May 21, 2007

For posterity

I can't ever seem to find the instructions for doing that toe-up-no-flap-gusset-and-short-row-heel. Somebody over at Flickr asked me about it and I couldn't find my own notes! Here they are now, preserved for all blogdom:

Toe Up No Flap Heel:

Mentally divide your stitches in half. The bottom is one half, the instep is the other. Work the heel only on the bottom stitches. Start at the place where the sock is long enough to cover your whole foot but doesn't go up your ankle - just where your foot and ankle meet on the front.

So say you are working that sock on 64 stitches. 32 will be the heel and for this part you increase every other round BOTTOM ONLY until you get to 52 stitches - 10 increase rounds.

Then you turn the heel just like a flap heel. All that decreasing will bring the stitch count back where you need it. Once when I made these I ended up two stitches short, and just increased on the next round.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

I am so trying this heel. Right now. I wanted to do a short row heel for a pair of footies but, short row heels stump me. I can't get rid of the gaps. Your heel may be just what I'm looking for.
Thanks!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

This may make me sound really "stupid", but remember I am also the knitter who can't conquer short row heels. But I knit like you instruct and then what? Do I pick up stitches for a gussett?

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home