Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Embracing the Dark Side

My you-know-whats arrived yesterday. They are SHINY. They are PRETTY. They are...all in their little bags waiting for me to take them out and pet them:

My dark-side membership kit

But I can't just yet, because one crucial part of the entire deal is on its way, the case. Call it a social experiment, or call it more evidence for Crazy, but I am not going to use, buy or own that awful binder. I have something else in mind, and I'll be sure to show you as soon as I can.

I know it sounds dumb but I feel an awful lot better after getting a pedicure last night and picking up some sushi for dinner. (Cats like salmon nigiri. So do I.) My toes are now "Hong Kong Sunrise" and I had a nice hour in that crazy massage chair. I know, shallow, but sometimes pretty feet make it all better.

I've been looking around for a book for quite a while, just stopping in to different bookstores and asking when I thought about it. After about fifteen tries, it became apparent to me that I was not going to find The Element of Lavishness anytime soon. Though I'm still loving reading Rising Tide...I just wanted something...warmer. (And I was going to drive to Florida for Memorial Day, but the fires are so bad I'm not taking a chance on driving, so I bought a plane ticket. Less time for audiobooks though. More room for a good read on the plane and sitting by the pool for the last time at my Mom's house. They sold it. !!) You know, Posie talked about this book, too...after I read the excerpt, I was severely needing it. Tonight I bought a copy on eBay for $10. Hopefully it will arrive by next Wednesday afternoon. (Read the excerpt at Amazon...it will make your heart ache a little for the days of proper correspondence, and you'll smile at the little look into their lives.)

I have two good friends in letters - people with whom I carry on almost exclusively written correspondence. One friend and I have done this for many years, through job changes, home changes, additions of boyfriends, cats, hobbies, problems, redecorating. Ann and Kay over at Mason-Dixon started this way. I think everyone should have a writing friend - not a pen pal per se, but someone who is simply there during your day-to-day ramblings and thinkings. I guess I'm reading this book because I know how much a friendship like this has cheered me, and I want a glimpse of someone else's conversation as well. (Though I doubt ours is nearly as elegant.)

Anyway, just a little book recommendation for you. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but a book like this can be a nice warm patch of sunshine to curl up in on many an afternoon. A friendly book, a cuppa, a little sunshine...warmth and prettiness.

Today is all pretty toes...pretty yarn...pretty new shiny needles. Pretty cats.

Grady

Fee

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

Oooohh shiny new things!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

I just love your cats. My home is very sadly cat-less, so I love seeing the pictures of yours!!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

i can't wait to see what you have planned for those needles. i have some (not a full set, which i'm regretting), but i haven't been able to come up with anything more creative than another version of the same ugly binder. in fact, right now they're all just in their original packaging in a big ziploc bag. classy, eh?

9:35 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Very curious to see the case you're going to use! Hee hee - actually, for me being the un-girly girl that I am (I can't remember the last year in which I applied makeup, for example), I do love pedicures in the summer.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Delia said...

Nothing beats a great pedicure - crazy chair and all!

11:00 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

What a great day! Good for you!

1:22 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Your cats are so gorgeous :) I agree pedicures and beautiful needles can do wonders!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Your cats are priceless!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing the case you bought for the needles. I have held off on buying the options set because I didn't like the case either.

Knits-N-Purrs

4:51 PM  
Blogger Grandma Barb said...

You have the most photogenic cats. It's obvious they are so loved.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home