Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Ok, I'm back.

I am really, severely, truly having a hard time motivating myself to post without my little Blogger widget. Curses to Blogger for screwing up the code that let it work. I tried downloading it again - let's see if it works. Still thinking about moving the blog.

Sigh. Pictures! How about pictures? I laughed myself silly tonight, at silly things. The funniest thing was a guy on the news at Tower Records. He looked like a Yeti in a Judas Priest t-shirt. Seriously, folks! His loved ones should tell him. I mean, you can see all manner of geeks, freaks and weirdos at Tower. Too bad they are in bankruptcy, but I can't say they don't deserve it. I will miss the people watching.

Ok, picture time. This is a picture of my Mom's mittens. I don't know if this is a traditional Norwegian design. The story of these mittens is that my gran went over to Denmark to visit some of her Norwegian relatives and came home with them. They told her the style is from Lapland. I *think* I recognize the motif, but I think the x's had curved bits between them instead of harsher edges. At any rate, the mittens wore out but Gran loved them so much she asked my mom to make her a pair.

Top side

They are my mom's first attempt at stranded knitting. She charted the mittens from Gran's existing pair, and made two pairs of them. Unbelievable. I'd have been freaking out. 

Any thoughts on the motif? I know next to zero about traditional Norwegian patterns. I did a search for them but didn't see anything that was exactly like this. As far as Lapland goes, I don't see where their knitting has been standardized. I think this is far more likely to be a Norwegian pattern because it is two-color, it's black and white, and the palm has this pattern:

Palm side

Pretty. Yes, they are a little grubby. Even Eucalan did not take it out. So she wants to make a new pair.

And my card was charged for the jacket tonight, maybe I will get it before spring! 

3 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Wow. Kudos to your mom. I think trying to chart that would make me cry and require copious valium. Ha! They are really stunning and very impressive. I have no idea if they're traditional or not, but they're stunning!!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, they look great!

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, these are SO AWESOME!!

I would love to try something like this, just have no idea how to manage it!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home