Monday, October 02, 2006

Mission accomplished

Do y'all ever have words that fall in and out of fashion with you? Lately I do not want to say "frogging" anymore. I think it's because I read a quote from Eliz. Zimm. where she mentioned "unraveling." I thought, "That sounds much more dignified."

But you know, when you sit down to pull out all that knitting and it's arms flying everywhere and yarn slipping off the ball-winder and possibly tangles, maybe frogging is a better word.

I frogged the sock. (I did get gauge, but couldn't stand the feel of the yarn on my feet. Also they felt too wide and too short at the same time. Slippery.)

I frogged the scarf. I'm not going to overdye it. I'm going to chalk it up to a lesson learned - Wilton's dyes and I are no longer on speaking terms.

I frogged the messy, terrible hat with the stupid mistakes.

I just feel so much better after I get something that wasn't working out of my sight and back into tidy little cakes of yarn. I don't have the project hanging over my head anymore. I have closure!

Saturday I went to Kentucky Down Under, an Australian wild animal park near Mammoth Cave. Y'all, I petted a joey! A real live 7-month-old kangaroo. He rides in a fabric pouch with his human caretaker for months 5-10 of his life so he's used to humans and well-socialized. He was so happy. He had a branch of some plant in there with him and everything. Sleeping and snacking. He was lovely.

Also they have a cave in the park. I didn't catch the name but it was maybe two hundred yards long to walk through and while I didn't mind so much doing the tour I really do not like caves. Slippery steps, lots of things to dodge, creepy-crawlies, water dripping on my head. And they always have to turn out all the lights for an interminable period of time. "Isn't that neat? Look at how DARK it is! You can't see your hand in front of your face, can you?" Well, no.

Does anyone remember a children's book of rhymes (possibly about little monsters) with one about a Fink? "Who put the fink/in mother's sink?/I don't know/but he's got to go"?? (I already googled.)

Yesterday I went to an art fair in Centennial Park, where we have a full-scale model of The Parthenon. It was hot. I got sunburned a little. It was fun, apart from the people who couldn't control their dogs (or didn't seem to want to). Last night I caught up on tv, and did the frogging.

6 Comments:

Blogger Scoutj said...

It seems like more people say, "I tinked back" or something like that.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

the book.. it's Dr. Suess. - wocket in my pocket.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

Unraveling is a beautiful thing. Deleting and erasing are other terms I use. Frogging is what I use when typing to knittys and other online knitters.

I went to Mammoth Cave when I was ten. I grew up in AZ so geology was much of the fabric I was raised on. I remember Lincoln's birthplace much better.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I wish it was, but it's not the Wocket book or any Dr Seuss...it was a big book, like 11 x 14, hardcover, with black-and-white ink drawings. The illustration for this particular poem had a big dirty-looking furball stuffed unceremoniously into a bathroom sink.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The book you are looking for, if you haven't found it, is:

Beastly Rhymes by Jack Hanrahan.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously! THAT's IT!!!

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home