Thursday, July 06, 2006

To Dye For

Sheila gave me a yummy book for my birthday: Yarns to Dye For. I've been reading a little of it every day and the techniques are really interesting, the color combinations are overall pretty great, and while I don't think I'll be dyeing any faux Fair Isle I really love the self-striping techniques. (She's really good at describing the process of handpainting and I'm for sure going to try immersion dyeing when I can get some yarn to dye.) So that's been really interesting.

Last night GB and I watched Rock Star/Supernova. It's kind of a rocker version of American Idol with the winner as the lead singer of Tommy Lee's new band. (For those of you who don't know, I was obsessed with Tommy Lee Goes to College or whatever that show was called.) The singers are overall pretty good but it had its surreal moments. One chick from Africa was just weird and doing some kind of insane grim reaper act - she looked like a clown. The guy who did the best sang last, and though he looked a bit like an Oompah-Loompah, he rocked the house. Anyway, more on that later.

I bought the Feliway spray. Grady seems to be the most charmed by it - Fee kind of acts suspicious like there might be a cat hiding in the bottle, but he seems relaxed around it. We'll see what happens.

I also bought a new vacuum last night - a Hoover Windtunnel from Costco. Very tasty! My carpet looks new. My vac has been slowly failing (no vacuum can stand up to the terrors of that much cat hair for long) and it was time to replace it. This one has an attachment with a beater brush for picking up pet hair, and an embedded dirt filter! Green light goes on when the carpet is clean. Also a HEPA filter which I am hoping will help my asthma.

Not much knitting yesterday - I started the heel on one Madder Rib sock and the seam stitch seems like an interesting design element. I guess I never understood that it is recessed on the sock and you're not supposed to feel it. Now that I've seen Purly Whites' example, I've drunk the kool-aid and I'm trying it out. It's very interesting. (Purly Whites makes Sundara yarn.)

I've knit a few rows on the pea pod sweater, but I think my TDF project is going to be knitting baby bibs. I need something pretty mindless, and I've got enough cotton to outfit about 30 babies. I may also pick up the bath mat again.

Freezing here at work today. Must work, on deadline tonight and working late. Piffle.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

A-ha!! Now I am understanding why you are hanging out and vacuuming on a Friday night (I'm catching up backwards). I have a Rainbow - it uses water instead of bags, so no dust escapes. You just dump the sludge down the toilet. Weird thing about this vacuum? It's the one I used to use to vacuum the house when I was a kid!! Weird thing the second - it does a great job on pet hair and pretty much everything. The problem is you can vacuum industriously, finish, empty the sludge and put in fresh water, vacuum industrously... hmm, why do I have just as much sludge? Empty the sludge, put in fresh water, vacuum industriously... darn it, I have just as much sludge!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

The answer is simple - it's a sludge maker! And doing quite well, it seems. :)

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home