Friday, June 30, 2006

New sock!

Yesterday I hit the wall with those blue, green and brown socks. I love them - don't get me wrong. But after binding off the cuff on one twice, it's still too tight. And after knitting five inches of 2x2 ribbing on the other yesterday (y'all who can do eight inches of complicated adult male sweater in one day have my respect), I was a little burned out. And since I just happened to bring that Sundara yarn I've been dreaming about lately -
Popsicle sock

This is the start of the Madder Rib sock from Knitting Vintage Socks. Every sock I do from Nancy's book starts the same way: I whine. Do I really need 8 inches of leg? Do I have to do a seam stitch?

Well yes, actually. I have decided that other than sizing modifications in length or circumference, just for a little while I'm going to try to do some new things and not knit my standard heel and toe on every single sock I make. So we are going to try a "star toe of three points" and a welsh (or maybe it's german) heel.

The ribbing pattern on the leg of this sock is real interesting - part stockinette, part rib - and it really kept my attention last night. It prevented me from showing off with fancy no-looking stockinette knitting, but also manages to escape from the utter boredom of miles of 2x2 rib.

And the yarn? I am not kidding - go buy some of this sock yarn right away. It's SO yummy and SO squnschy and so cushy soft. The colors are beautiful (mine is "popsicle") and they are continually a surprise, yet completely right.

I'm really in love with all these yarns. Go give Sundara some love!

Grady says "We need more sock yarn." Enabler!
Schmade

PS: Tomorrow, people! Tomorrow is the day that Ivan Basso is going to begin his ascent from being second in the world to being the best. Tomorrow is the Tour de France Prologue. I have to cast on something for this crazy knitalong I started at the Knittyboard, and I think it's going to be the Pea Pod sweater (a gorgeous Kate Gilbert pattern free on the Interweave Knits site and recently knitted by Stephanie). Yarn buying expedition tonight!

Update: Seems Ivan was just throw out of le Tour on a doping scandal. Craptastic. Dave Zabriskie it is!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think you said earlier that you joined Sundara's sock club. Did you get the yarn yet? I am in love with the colors. She does such a great job with the packaging, too. I can't wait to get started.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Uh oh! Looks like Basso is not going to make his ascent to best in the world after all. I don't really follow the Tour, but with those headlines, who could miss it? I hope your disappointment won't crush you....

10:49 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Eh, my real favorite is Zabriskie.

I'm real sad for Jan Ullrich though - hard living wrecked his chances. Poor guy.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love the Sundara Black Lagoon I got - wearing those socks this winter will make my feet very happy.

This whole Tour is going to be a mess...

5:13 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Grady is right. You should listen to Grady.

5:05 PM  
Blogger noblinknits said...

Oh wow, I would love to get me some sundara aock yarn action.

*sigh*

maybe when I'm in the states next year I'll pick me up a ton.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home