Wednesday, June 21, 2006

What was it I said?

Didn't I just say "That way lies madness" about trying to knit a sock with a gusset and short row heel? (No flap.)

Well, this time I have a pattern. And armed with my own hand dyed yarn, I'm gonna do it!

(We are having some major flashing/pooling issues. If this sort of thing bothers you, you may want to skip the first picture. It doesn't bother me.)

Flashing, pooling

I finished the Embossed Leaves socks yesterday:

Finished Embossed Leaves socks

Pattern: Embossed Leaves socks, Winter 2005 IK
Yarn: All Things Heather handpainted sock yarn, color Leprechaun, size 1 needles (2.5mm)
Modifications: I cast on 72 stitches instead of 64, and worked the extra 8 stitches into the pattern by adding purl stitches between the pattern repeats - but only for the leg. It's not perfect, but it fits and maintains the pattern. After having knitted these once, I think I'd put the stitches on the sides if I did it again. This will never ever show (I'm not a dress and socks sort of gal and they are comfy, so I'm okay with it). I worked my own heel, did not cut the yarn at the end of turning it, and then decreased back down to 68 stitches so I had the right amount for the top (32) and some wonky number for the bottom (36?). When I got to the toe I did a slip 2/knit 1/pass slipped stitches over to decrease the other four stitches away from the bottom side, then knit the toe as written.

Loved knitting this pattern. Love the yarn. Love my new socks!

I signed up for Flat Scout and you should too if you think it might be fun to haul a cardboard cutout of a fellow blogger around with you and take pictures. (I do.)

I finally got my camera cable, so my days of terrorizing the cats with camera have returned:

She finally sat still

(They hoped that the camera cable fiasco would teach me a lesson, but alas for them.)

It's supposed to be 96 today. Argh.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Love the embossed leaves. Love the new banner! Love Fee. Hate heat. Blech.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks! I just changed it as you spoke, because I wanted the type more readable. This might be too heavy though, so I'm still working!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Those are kickass socks!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

Embossed Leaves look fantastic!

You signed up for Flat Scout? I thought about signing up. How about this - you invite me when you have her and we'll hang out. We'll bring her to Threaded Bliss! LOL

Did you sign up for KSKS?

4:26 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

I like the pooling - I like watching the colour be unpredictable with hand dyed yarn!

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice new banner. I love the toe up sock pattern.

8:41 AM  
Blogger KarenK said...

Mmmm, those embossed leaves must be made from "Toucan"? Beautiful pooling!

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home