Saturday, December 13, 2008

Dear Blog

Dear Blog,

I miss you. I miss our chats. I miss you listening patiently to my rants.

I admit I've been cheating on you with Twitter.

I admit I haven't knitted anything - not one stitch - since Thanksgiving weekend, though I am still dreaming nightly of wearing my Bird in Hand mitts.

I admit they aren't going to finish themselves.

Bloggy, I hope we get together more often than we have been. I think everybody (including me) got bored with the normal-life stuff.

See, there's something I haven't told them...that is, that last winter I had a book offer from a publisher. For what? they may ask. Well, for an idea. Truth is, there was no book. Only idea.

But the more we talked, the more we realized that our ideas of the book differed, and the book was not going to happen. We parted ways and breathed a sigh of relief.

It felt weird to blog and not be able to talk about the whole process - how much I struggled with being a writer, how my ideas for other parts of it were just completely excited and happy and ... fell flat when I talked about them.

Thing is, I'm not actually disappointed, other than having an idea in my mind of how it could have been. You know? When you have a vision for something and it doesn't catch, it's not going to work. So there's no point in wishing it was different.

But I think it killed my relationship to you, Blog, or at least made it hibernate for a while. Suddenly I was faced with being much more public and probably having to be a lot more serious and together than I usually am, and I worried all the time about saying the right thing. I didn't pick up my needles, and I stopped carrying my knitting around with me. I started thinking it sure made my living room cluttered.

But I have been away from Knitting for a while now, and I miss it. I want it back. For me, not as a source of worry, work or pressure (all self-induced, the publisher could literally not have been nicer to work with than they were), but just because I like to do it, I'm fairly good at it, and that is enough.

I don't want to give you any more details, blog, but I do want to tell you stories and laugh and keep a journal of my knitting on you, if that's okay. If you don't totally hate me. I have been negligent.

It took me two months to figure out how to say this. The saddest part of the whole thing was that knitting and blogging fell by the wayside. I do not want that to be true anymore.

Love,
MG

7 Comments:

Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Go, MG!!!

Welcome back. I've missed you too.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Welcome back! Look forward to knitting progress pictures! :)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Oh, it happens to all of us. Just jump back in and it will all be good!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Frau Putz said...

Oh Meangirl... I love your knitting, so I will certainly look forward to more of your blogging - and hope for even more inspiration. I have knitted your arch-shaped socks a million times :o)
Best wishes for a christmas with your yarn and needles out and about.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stopped by to tell you I miss ya!

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been cheating on Twitter with Plurk! I think it has not really affected my blogging, though. You influenced me to buy a Dyson last week.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Laurimar said...

wonderful..

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home