Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A long screed, and where I've been

I have a confession to make.

I've been avoiding blogging. Painful, but true. But the reason probably isn't what you would think.

I've been avoiding blogging because the only thing I want to write about is politics, and y'all don't want to read THAT.

But maybe you do. Or maybe this blog is as much for me as it is for you. So I decided to do it. I get catharsis, and you get to skip it if you want.

Either way. I'm shocked. And I have to write. So, if you don't like what I say - don't read. Move along, there will be knitting content later this week because I am currently having to fight my knitting mojo off with a large stick. Or stay, and listen. Either way, it's your choice. I have already voted.

If you don't want to read my political opinions, now is the time to close the window, mark the post read, and go have a cup of tea. I will not blame you.

1. Let me tell you, I'm stunned, astonished, shocked and saddened by the press. I have always loved and followed and studied journalism. I can't believe their unbelievable bias, the disappearing documents in Chicago's public establishments, the cry of foul every time a certain candidate's background is looked into. There are whole years of this man's adult life we don't know anything about, in part because it disappeared. The press is an absolute embarrassment, and it's no wonder that magazines and newspapers are being driven into the ground on a daily basis. Nobody wants to look at the front page of the New York Times and get an opinion piece above the fold.

People: the press is telling you what to vote, what to think. Fight against it and make your own decisions.

2. I'm equally shocked at the treatment of certain average Americans who had the fantastically inappropriate audacity to ask a question of a political candidate. In America, you're supposed to be able to speak your mind without ravaging hordes of "journalists" examining your tax records from the past five years. How embarrassing for both proponents of free speech AND the press (notice I do not include them as one group).

The press is trying to put you in your place, and tell you that unless you are without sin you can't ask a question. Fight it, and ask anyway.

3. I'm particularly shocked to learn that all along, I should have been making my political decisions based on whether or not the candidate thinks I can rid myself of a bothersome pregnancy with government permission. I am not a one-issue voter. I'm not a one-dimensional person. I refuse to be put into an anti-womans'-rights bag because womens' rights somehow have come to mean only one thing. How sad/sick/sorry is that? I *care* about whether my friends with small businesses will face tax increases. I *care* whether my friends with political blogs will be shut down by the ineptly named "Fairness Doctrine." And I care about a whole host of other issues. Dear Democrats: Please do not put me in a box. Thankyou.

These people are trying to tell you what matters. Look at the issues, and decide for yourself. Fight against them.

4. Also shocked to see a very accomplished, smart woman who has tremendous political gifts demonized as an anti-American, young-earth, spiritual-warfare believing low-life warmongering christian. Honestly. I thought women as a group were farther along than this. Apparently in America, only men can be Republicans by choice. Again - color me shocked. I just didn't realize it was a law that I had to believe in one set of ideas to be a feminist. I thought that living my life as I wanted to - at whatever I was good at and seemed right to me - was feminism. I was wrong. Feminism is actually something a lot worse.

That's ok though - I don't think they want me. These women are trying to tell you what freedom is. Fight them - and define it for yourself.

Thomas Jefferson said "The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." The more people try to control the press, our thoughts, values and opinions, the less free we become.

I hope like crazy the few women out there who disagree with "conventional" feminism - and the dried-up old hags who still preach it - will stand up and yell. I hope that people will continue to write and speak intelligent, informed stuff on whatever the heck they choose. I hope that people will come to recognize every free woman's accomplishments as a triumph - from the first female African-American Secretary of State (who doesn't count because...why? she was appointed by a demon?) to a housewife who wants to stay home and raise her kids.

I hope that people take a stand for this freedom. I won't be told what to think, say, act like or do - except by God and a few trusted individuals. I sincerely hope with all my heart that you won't, either. Vote however you want on November 4, and I don't care if you vote opposite of me. Just go make your voice heard. And fight against what you are "supposed" to believe. Find your beliefs, and believe them for yourself.

That is all. Knitting up later this week, with bonus granny squares!

PS: Look here.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, my first time to visit your site and look what I found. A young, knitting, blogging republican. Bless you for your insight and ability to see through all the "apparent enlightened haze". Good for you for thinking for yourself - as we all should be doing.

Becky

1:28 AM  
Blogger Ivy Mae said...

Excellent! Wonderful! Would you publish this somewhere? You've said everything I've been thinking for the past 8 months! Thanks for being courageous and posting this, despite all the flak I'm sure you'll get.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been lurking at your blog for a long time. Glad you spoke up for what you are feeling. Not enough people seem to be doing so. I agree completely with your thoughts - hang in there!

Beth

7:57 AM  
Blogger kemtee said...

Dang, Jen. That was great. Say stuff like this more often.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

THANKS, loves!

10:06 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

I agree: you ought to find a place that will publish what you've written here. It's cogent, its tone is remarkable, and it's more real than most of what comes out of the mouths/pens of pundits.

I absolutely agree with you about what passes as feminism these days - it's a dried-up formula that was relevant for its times, but no longer is because it doesn't allow choice (ironic, eh?), it requires being doctrinaire.

I agree that the press maneuvered this election because it wanted good stories instead of a healthy and juicy battle amongst very interesting and qualified people.

Guess what? I'm a radical leftie. I probably disagree with 90% of what you believe, but I relish reading and hearing other points of view - because I adore my country and I adore real democracy!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yay! Thanks!!!

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home