Saturday, June 30, 2007

There are the cool kids, then there's me.

I do not, sadly, have a new iPh*ne burning a hole in my pocket. I will, but I don't think it will be until they hook up the 3G network. Everybody in the world who owns this new phone is cooler than I am today, even the suburban mom walking out with her daughter and 2 friends who all had new iPh*nes last night. ($2400 in phones walking by, most of it entrusted to 16-year olds!) We went over to the mall to people-watch last night. There were about 300 people queued up for it, and the whole operation seemed incredibly well-run. But hah! News teams out for a new phone! Apple sure does know how to run a marketing campaign.

For the skeptics, this is the internet on a phone that actually looks like the internet. Not the scratch-and-dent internet that's available through most mobile services. Plus, I like gadgets.

For now I have a cute-but-dumb Sams*ng K*tana. It's pretty and shiny and thin but without a lot of substance. My little bluetooth headset is teeny-tiny, about .625" x 1.75" and fits in my ear without the dadgum flap thing that goes around your earlobe. It's cool, but not that cool. I want looks and brains in my phone, people! The rest of the world will have to catch up.

I have been acquiring sock yarn stash at about 3x my usual rate. I got a lovely giftie in the mail from Zonda:

Yarn Pirate sock yarn

some more Mama-E Project Spectrum sock yarn:

Mama-E sock yarn

and a skein of Mama-E in Mermaids:

Mama-E

plus I have a skein of Haystack coming from Hello Yarn. It took me nearly 2 hours to buy it but I really want to try her yarn.

So until July 31, no yarn purchases for me. That's enough, and I have so much I want to knit. I think I am going to either swap or knit up quite a bit of this sock yarn before I buy much more. But you know how that goes. I feel the siren call of Koigu landing at yarn shops in this area and before long I'm standing in the store, dazed, with my bank card out wondering what I am doing.

Also, Fee says "FEEZ ON UR PORCH, STALKIN UR BIRDZ." Grady was not available for comment. I can't catch either of them anywhere but the porch lately, they are sun hogs.

Feez On Ur Porch

Oh, and PS - that's right, the Google search found one of Chris' comments about hair salons (I didn't realize it searched the comments, and I knew I hadn't posted that!) Thank you Chris, I was kinda freaked out by that!

5 Comments:

Blogger mrspao said...

The first thing I thought when I read about those people with their iPhones was "have they got Mug Me stamped on their foreheads"?

Nice stash enhancement.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I'm not a cool kid, either. But they're only cool until the next gadget trend shows up and knocks the iPhone off of the top of the chart. That's what I tell myself, anyway. :-)

I love that blue yarn! Did Zonda dye it? If not, what brand is it? Just gorgeous.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Oh, duh. I should have visited the photo page BEFORE asking. Silly me.

4:02 PM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

Sock yarn! Koigu! Like you, I am weak. Mmmmmm. You'll have to tell us how you liked the mama-e stuff.

And the iphone.... I'll wait. I have a serious tmobile sidekick habit... I live and breathe with a sidekick stapled to my hand 24/7, and the fact that I'm on Benkei VI belies this. Lol.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Fortunately, I feel no need to be on the bleeding edge of technology! Especially since the underlying AT&T service is utter crap in our part of the world.

Pretty yarns! Esp like the first one...

LOL! Don't things get wonderfully self-referential during google fu?

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home