Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Using the washing machine like I mean it

I'm perfectly positive that those who know me have been able to actually see the little black rain cloud that has been following me around for the past few days. But I got some Tagamet, I got some sleep, I spent about $80 at Aveda and you know there is always blue sky behind the clouds. (Also, I got a secret pal gift. A skein of Tofutsies, some super-soft wool and some crazy monkey string lights really did the trick. Thanks, pallie!) Pictures soon, especially of the monkey lights.

I turned the heel on my first blue Monkey, and it's been so long since I successfully knit past a heel (thank you, Pomatomus, you evil creature) that I forgot what a neat trick it is. The best part of knitting for me is just following along stitch after stitch and having your pile of stitches turn into something.

Also I resurrected the Dream in Color scarf. I found some dark dark red 1824 wool in the stash (buy it from SuperCrafty!). I cast on 40 stitches and knit 4 rows of Dream in Color and then 2 rows of 1824 in 1x1 rib and it's subtle and scrunchy and sweet.

I read several articles today about seaming my sweater and how I should block it first even though that makes zero sense to me. I mean, why would I wash everything and then seam it up with new, unwashed, unshrunk yarn? But then I remembered that my sweater is about half microfiber, which means that aside from possibly melting it in the dryer, not much is going to happen to it in the wash.

So of course I am PETRIFIED about throwing a knitted garment in the washing machine and now it's in the dryer and I keep on checking it because I just know it will end up small enough to fit one of my cats if I don't watch it.

And is it just me, or have they been showing that "Sorry Roger, you tiger now!" commercial a whole lot more lately? I admit to being naturally blond, and I saw it about 7,684 times before I finally figured out that it wasn't his FRIEND disowning him for liking the Tigers, it was a tattoo artist telling him he was stuck being a tiger forever. (I am maybe a little crazier than I thought.)

(Actually, buying the Aveda was kind of depressing. But they make the best anti-frizz stuff out there.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Kaviare said...

I know what you mean about the stitches. I just finished a knitted jacket, and I just CAN'T BELIEVE that I knit that. I mean, I know I spent forever looking at it (it's kind of a problem - I'm a bit sick of looking at the thing) but I was just KNITTING.

I was just knitting stitches, you know. It beats me how they turned themselves into something I can wear.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Yarnsticksbooks said...

The reason they say to wash the pieces first is that then all the stitches even out, sit flatter and are easier to see when you are seaming.

After trying to hurry with Miss B's Hoodie and fighting curling edges while seaming I will be washing first next time.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I have also read that you should/can/could wash your seaming thread at the same time you wash the sweater parts. I suppose you could create a small hank and secure it in a sock or something so it doesn't get all twisted.

I've never knit a sweater and don't remember where I read that tip, but I know I did because I don't think I would have thought of that on my own! :)

6:37 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Aveda induces happiness, that's just the way it is. I've tried enough cheap hair product to know that the good stuff is worth every penny you spend on it.

I always block garments before seaming because it makes the seams less rolly. With my dad's sweater, I'm going to try a new method: put damp towels over the finished piece and let dry. It'll either work or mess everything up, we'll see.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

If you're worried about washing it in the washer, it could be washed gently in the sink by hand in some Eucalan Wool Wash or similar product, then pin it in the shape and size desired (to block it) and let it air dry. That's what I do, with my knitting and my weaving, and it works well.

Sleep is an awesome thing, isn't it?

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it seems i only leave you comments on posts about hair. haha. but I promise on all that is knitted and holy, I was going to comment anyway...the bonus was that you mentioned the anti-frizz products. my hair is a frizz-filled nightmare right now. so first things first, I have an appointment with kim @ origina on Saturday and I would love some advice on products to buy!

secondly, they show that commercial all..the..time. but i must admit, it cracks me up. "i told you before...tattoos are PERMANENT!"

thirdly, good luck with your sweater...i'm very excited to see the results! I have to say that is one thing that truly baffles my mind. I'm gearing up to make my first cardigan/sweater soon, so that is one thing heavy on my mind!

ok, end of long-winded comment!

.xo. Jenn
(e-mail: oasisjenn AT yahoo DOT com if you get the chance!)

12:54 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Good luck with the sweater seaming! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'm SO SICK of that "you tiger now" commercial.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home