Thursday, June 21, 2007

What a lovely feeling it is to come back to something you love after a long hiatus.

For some reason I've been stalling on my current socks-in-progress, but I finally buckled down and made myself finish the leg (Monkey! Hi Tanya!) and then I got to the heel and whoosh, you know? It just happens, and suddenly your sock is half again as big as it was. I don't knit socks just for the heel turn, though I know people who do. I'm not particularly enamored of any of the techniques involved, and especially not slipping stitches or picking up gussets. But I love the feeling once it's finished of admiring what I just did, and (like somebody said in the comments yesterday) marveling at how my stitch-by-stitch persistance somehow turned into a sock with a real right angle in it that fits somebody's foot.

I remember the crazy addiction I once applied to sock knitting, and though working on my sweater has been fun, knitting overall has been a little dry for me lately because of it. It is good to have the crazy back. For this reason alone I'm not sure I'm going to ever be much of a sweater-knitting gal. There is nothing wrong with keeping one's torso warm, but I passionately, deeply and (probably) embarrassingly love socks.

Knitting Betty has a great series of articles on approaching a design. If you don't already read her blog, you should. Not only is she a really great knitter, she's a really cool person too. Subscribe! Subscribe!

I promise I'll have some cat pictures soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Peevish said...

Socks. The One True Project.

7:11 PM  
Blogger MadMad said...

Yeah - socks almost always fit, too, which is more than I can say for 99 percent of the sweaters I've made!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monkey! Monkey! Here I come. :)

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home