Wednesday, May 30, 2007

That meme

I've been thinking for about a week about which eight random things about me I should post to answer the meme I got tagged with. I think most of the random junk about me y'all probably already know, but I'll try to sum up. I'm going to do this as a stream-of-consciousness thing, so whatever I think of next is what goes in the list. (After re-reading it, most of it is embarrassing. I like to do things 110%.)

1. I collect hair and pet grooming salon names. "Groomingdales" or "Krazy Kuts" never fail to send me into gales of laughter. This is my hobby when traveling, because I often have to go places that are out of the way or populated by strip malls.

2. When I'm traveling out of town I don't like to eat at restaurants I can go to at home. I'd rather go somewhere particular to a place, like Texas BBQ or chili in Cincinnati.

3. My favorite LA restaurant is Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles. True story. You should go there - it's in North Hollywood. Get the meal that's a piece of fried chicken and a waffle. You will not regret it.

4. The dining room at Roscoe's reminds me of my aunt Ruth's basement for no reason whatsoever. It's brown paneling and gold-spackled mirrors. Auntie had a winding, dusty, cluttered basement in her house that I loved being in as a kid. My two cousins were older than I was, and every toy they'd ever had was in there. It was like my own personal thrift shop. Here is a 1975 photo of Aunt Ruth, my dad, cousin Wayne and cousin Debi. I'm the charming little monkey in the red bikini looking up adoringly at Debi. (Aunt Ruth had all kinds of crazy pronounciations I have to write about some day. Nobody knew what the heck 'maintainance' was, but we all knew what she meant.)

5. Aunt Ruth's daughter, my cousin Debi, taught me how to feather my hair when I was in 5th grade. There followed at least four horrifying hair years, because my hair is curly and it just never would do the right thing at the sides, and also it was the late 70s and my mom had long straight hair and wasn't much help. Also I had terrible, terrible eyebrows. In fifth grade some friends on the bus staged an intervention and told me that if I didn't pluck my eyebrows they were going to tie me down and do it for me. (I did, and then had a few years of tadpole-shaped monstrosities before I finally got the shaping right.) In seventh grade I discovered Sun-In, and since my normal natural coloring after being outside with all my tanned friends was usually either "sunburn" or "freckles", I learned fairly quickly that orange hair and red skin don't mix. Unfortunately I have a school picture taken before I figured this out - wearing a red-and-white striped shirt. (And I think that was the year I bought my first eye makeup, which was a Maybelline eye shadow in four shades of purple. I really did not know what I was doing to myself.) In eighth grade I finally started growing my hair out, and had a sort of mullet, but it was 1984 so that was all right. My hair naturally is kind of a greenish ash blond, which doesn't suit me any better than the orange so I've been coloring my hair (properly) since about 10th grade, at very least with lemon juice.

6. At one point in my life I owned several Van Halen albums, including 1984, but if I'm going to pick trashy rock-and-roll music from my childhood, I'll always pick KISS.

7. I went through an Aqua Net Extra Super Hold phase in high school. There were times when I honestly didn't know if it was going to wash out because I used so much. Once I shaved off the sides of my hair and left the rest long. Another time I cut it into a bob and put blue streaks in it with my mascara whenever I felt like it. During college I grew my hair out down to my waist. It was long and curly for about nine years. Then I cut it off, and now it won't really curl anymore, so I wear it straight.

8. I have nicknames for most everyone in my life - the cats (Bunny, Bird, Fat Boy, Bubba, Trixie, Kitty, etc), my nieces and nephews, people I see at work all the time but do not know, etc. For some reason it's easier for me to keep track of nicknames than actual names. Weird, huh?

I finished my reworked armhole decreases last night. Oh, and you can do this meme if you feel like it, eh?

4 Comments:

Blogger pamela wynne said...

oh, these are fantastic! And they bring back such joyful -- and horrifying -- memories of the 1980s.

I'm going to be in LA in October, and Roscoe's is definitely on my to-do list. :)

12:53 PM  
Blogger Delia said...

the BF LOVES Roscoes. He sleeps in a shirt from there religiously!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Out here, we have the Hair Apparent, the Hairafter, and Permanent Solutions. Hope that produces at least a little giggle!

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a Roscoe's in Pasadena as well (it's a local chain, the sort of chain you can go to without feeling guilty). Great place. Amazing cornbread, waffles to die for.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home