Saturday, March 24, 2007

The cat toys have got to go

But here's what I've been up to.

Table

IKEA, people. This is a new table, the replacement to my old dining table, which was a black card table from Target. I know, I know. Let me start by saying I have a massive coffee table, 48" square and most nights I sit on the floor at it for dinner. I'm not a dinner table kind of gal. The card table was supposed to be a placeholder, but ended up lasting three years. It really wasn't very nice to look at or sit at. So anyway. Today we went to Atlanta on a business errand, and ended up eating lunch at The Varsity and then just kind of at a loss about what to do. The zoo sounded great, but it was too late to enjoy both the gorillas and the pandas, so we went to IKEA. For a really long time I've been eyeing a black pedestal table at Crate & Barrel, but the shipping never worked out, or it was never in stock. So for the last six months or so I've been looking for something else.

I have always loved square dining tables, and I have a strong affinity for French art nouveau advertising (the Cappiello umbrella ad). The chairs are just plain old schoolhouse chairs I bought at Lowe's and assembled and painted a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I also put some matte polyurethane on them. I think the placemats and napkins came from a Crate & Barrel outlet that was on the way to Joshua Tree National Park. The bowl is from Pier 1. (I have to do something about those cat toys.)

I love it completely. I put it together MYSELF. Roar!

What's funny is that I had to photograph this and blog it, but haven't sat at it yet. Hopeless, right?

9 Comments:

Blogger sgeddes said...

Looks great! I wihs there was an Ikea close to me.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh.. that's purty! I love Ikea! :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

That's so funny, I had a black card table as our dining table for four years! Also supposed to be a placeholder... oh well. We moved and now we have what used to be our kitchen island as our table.. but no dining room. Oh well!

Your table is lovely. It'll be good for pictures? :)

10:59 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

At first I thought it was the corner of a trendy restaurant. Trés chic! It's OK to sit back and admire it as a work of art. If you're anything like me, it will soon be lost under piles of papers and projects—this photo captures the moment of perfection for posterity! Of course if you're not like me, then it gives me something to aspire to (organized).

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your table looks absolutely wonderful, especially with those chairs. Ikea is great for what I call "not-there" items. They look sensational, do their jobs, and never scream out, "look" at meeeee."

They're just ever-so-smart. And, the best part is, you can actually afford them! Good choice.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Lovely table! Chairs too! Go you!

7:21 PM  
Blogger DB said...

So where exactly are you located? I have a friend who just got back from a two-day trip to Ikea in Atlanta.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I think my parents have those same exact chairs in our house, at our table. Although, our kitchen table is a bit bigger, kind of an old workhorse. I guess that's what happens when you host Thanksgiving dinner every year?

8:19 PM  
Blogger Delia said...

Looks great - I actually have a kitchen table, but I never can use it because I'l usually covered with mail, knitting, papers, etc.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home