Monday, March 19, 2007

Don't try this at home

"Hi Mom, this is Jen."
"Hi Jenny."
"Mom, I just stabbed myself in the hand with a metal knitting needle and I'm wondering if I need to get a tetanus shot."
"..."
"Seriously. It's about 1/8" deep."
"...Have you been doing anything particularly dirty with those needles?"
"Uh...no...but hands are dirty you know. I don't exactly wash my needles."
"Keep it clean, keep it dry and bandaged and wash it every day with soap."
"The needle?"
"..."

In case you are wondering, a puncture wound from a 2.5mm Inox Express hurts like heck.

It was bound to happen

In the grand spirit of using up scraps, I give you my crazy granny square collection:

Grannies

(Except that I've already bought three skeins of Patons SWS for this and used up almost two. Ughh.)

I am holding out hope that somehow I can unify it or work on the order enough that it will look like I planned this. Or, I may just scrap everything and go to solids and pick a repeating pattern for the colors. (I am kind of a weird savant about patterns and patterning. I can figure out square roots from number sequences and other crazy stuff.) There are patterns in here, but I am not sure they are obvious to anyone else. The fact that the SWS is self-striping just makes it all kinds of crazy interesting.

What do y'all think? Cat blanket?

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Ouch!!!! When was your last tetanus shot? Good to keep current on those anyway, and it usually takes a good puncture wound to remind me to do so. :)

Hmm, maybe a pillow?

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yowch! I worry with my size 1 dpns that I'll sit on it and poke a hole in my leg. A hole in the hand--and where you got it--must be SO painful. take some aspirin/ibuprofen, too!

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owwwww! I hope that you heal quickly.

You should knit a quick bandage.. in STR! :)

9:28 PM  
Blogger Nell said...

owww, that sounds like it hurt. Hope you heal quickly!

I love those squares, to me, they look perfectly matching and ordered. :)

5:55 AM  
Blogger Betty said...

LOVE the granny squares! Okay, I really need to crochet now.

The magic word is DARWIC.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those squares look beautiful together just the way you've laid them out. Some wonderful cat will be SOOOO lucky to have such a terrific mat to dream on.

Good luck with it...it's great.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! Serious pain. Try to keep your hand elevated. Good grief, be careful with those little buggers.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Kaviare said...

I'm totally sending that link to my mum... she will definately identify with the elipses (...)

Also, I may have to start clicking on the 'disabled' button after the security word... somehow, no matter how carefully I look, I never seem to get it right the first go. Do you think that's some kind of sign?

6:58 PM  
Blogger MezzoDiva said...

Ouch! That sounds very painful.

There's a nerve center in that area and you're actually very lucky to have missed it. I hope it heals soon.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

OOh, I bet that hurt like a bitch! I stepped on a nail a few months back and had a tet. shot, forgetting I'd had one a couple years ago- ow!! Did you know tetanus comes from something in soil?

The squares look fantastic!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Been there, ran a size 0 Susan Bates clear through my hand and out the other side. I love the subtle color changes of the granny squares. Looking forward to seeing the finished blanket.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home