Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Maths

Finally some pictures, but first we have to do math.

Tonight while I watched Freak Show American Idol and House, I knitted a swatch for Thermal. Turns out I had the wrong yarn in mind for the scarf, so that will have to wait. This is Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool on #3 needles:

Swatch

Trouble is, pattern gauge is 28 stitches/4 inches, and I am not getting that, I'm getting 24:

Swatch

I like this fabric. I think it might close up a little too much if I go down to a 2.75mm needle, and I don't even have one of those, so I am not sure what I'm going to do. Thoughts? Basically I'd make the 38 size, and at 7spi that is 266 stitches. At 6spi it's 228. (I'd end up with over 44" eek.) I can make the smallest size at my gauge by following instructions for 224 stitches, or I can change needles. I will think about it for a couple days. I may swatch it in the round as well - the sweater is knit in the round, and my gauge tends to be tighter that way. Didn't think of that.

I will say one thing - this is why I knit socks. Every sweater I've ever swatched has ended in abject frustration and disappointment and it was not for lack of trying. I got gauge and hated the fabric, or I hate the yarn, or I decide I don't like the pattern.

It's very cold here tonight so we are all bundled up. Fee will sit near the couch but not on it and feels most comfortable if she is sitting under my legs or a blanket. Grady just slobs down wherever he likes.

Fee hides

Grady is snoozing

And a Project 365 picture from today:

Traffic

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i love that Thermal sweater..it looks really cute!

good luck with your swatching and perhaps this will be the sweater that makes it all the way to the end! haha.

.♥.

1:36 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Hoo boy. I don't dig on math too much, but I think your game strategy is sound.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Thermal too, but I'd NEVER knit it. I'll admire yours when it's done. Too monotonous for me! Give me socks or give me death!

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home