Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bambini

(I know.) (Snicker.)

Bambini is a kind of soup. Italian soup, to be exact, the kind you give little kids when they are sick and in bed and need something to breathe in and make them feel better. It's made with broth and pepper and parmesan and a little butter and some teeny tiny pasta like alphabetini. (Try it. Just throw it in a pot and boil until the noodles are done.) It's comfort food of the highest order, though if you aren't careful it can get very salty. Better to buy low-sodium broth and salt it if you need to. Or use a bouillion that is not very salty. It beats the snot out of Campbell's.

I went to the doctor today, third time in three months because my ears have been killing me. This time I saw a PA who has helped me tons in the past with my asthma. She says there is tons of fluid in my inner ears and prescribed an industrial-strength decongestant for me to take every 12 hours for the next 30 days. (I have an odd whoom-whoom noise inside my head when I swallow, that's fluid hitting my ear drum, and I've been randomly dizzy as well as in quite a bit of pain recently.) This is a minor annoyance, but I really hope it clear up and I feel kind of punky. (Originally my doc told me to take old-school Sudafed every day, but that made my heart pound and race and apparently that can kill you, so this is Plan B, otherwise known as No-Kill Decongesting. Woo!)

On the plus side, my lungs sound really good. This is progress! Asthma-matic! Woo!

(Thunk.) Where was I? Oh yeah, Bambini. I made up a pot and I've been working on my new Monkey socks (yay! someone guessed) and they are AWESOME. Let me tell you about Cookie - girl can WRITE a sock pattern. She is genius, and y'all should knit one of her patterns because they are simple and entertaining and they look like you did something all complicated so they really feed your ego. Heh.

So tonight it's soup, socks and my Predators hockey jersey here at Chez Mean Girl. (These things are WARM.) What are y'all doing?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bongiorno Principessa!!!

Sos linda. Saludos desde Argentina

10:23 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yikes - at least it's just fluid and not an ear infection!

I haven't knit any of Cookie's patterns yet - they're on my list. I am knitting a pretty cool one that looks great with striping sock yarn - it's the first one on this page (Gentleman's Socks). I'm just using the stitch pattern and knitting them toe-up.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope the soup helps you get better soon!

9:15 AM  
Blogger TheBunny said...

Late meeting with Taiwan and then video games and my Kareoke soy silk scarf until much too late! (oh lets just admit the scarf will come out during the conference call with Taiwan too!)

I had matzo ball soup for lunch today which made me happy and feel much better right off the bat.

Feel better!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel better soon! Mine are acting up too, have new meds too!!

Monkey's on my list as are Zokni's and a million others... ;)

9:44 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Thanks for the recipe - I read it just before I needed to make lunch - and I've got a nasty stinky cold - I felt much better after a warm bowl of bambini!

2:10 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you for the recipe. I'm going to look out for Cookie's patterns now.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home