Monday, January 22, 2007

No need to waste time

I bought a mattress yesterday. One of the things I learned from the godsend that is the internet is that you can't really honestly comparison shop from store to store when it comes to buying a mattress. You can find a Simmons you like at store A, and a Simmons at store B, but you have no guarantee they are the same mattress...you just have to pick which one you like better. Mattress makers are experts at obfuscation. And since most mattresses are of very similar construction, if you find one whose comfort you like and price you can live with, you are doing very well indeed.

I bought a Sealy Posturpedic Adams Farm Plush Queen from Macy's, and with the free delivery, sale price and tax break I figure I saved about $400. Tasty. It felt nice, and so does the mattresss. Delivery sometime after February 1.

You know it's just gone into the world of the surreal when you make the choice between the Simmons and the Sealy because the Simmons is too hot. I mean, if I was laying on it in a department store with no blanket or anything and it felt too hot, there was just no way it was coming home with me. Why was it hot? Some kind of weird reflective body-heat conservation method?

Anyway, I'm glad that's over with. Anyone who would like the links I found that really helped me sort out the market, just email me. :) I also got two pairs of jeans and two pairs of khakis. I know the Gap is supposedly the armpit of style lately but nobody's pants fit me better.

The short version of how to knit the stitches out of order for the Shifting Sands scarf is - for the cable where you are supposed to put one on the needle to the front...skip over stitch 1, knit 2 and 3 and then knit stitch 1 and slip them all off. For the cable where you are supposed to put two to the back, skip over the first two on the left needle and knit stitch 3, then knit stitch 1, then stitch 2.

I watched a lot of football yesterday...though I'm torn up over watching the poor Saints play so badly, I'm glad for the Bears. I have never particularly liked the team but I know Bears fans are Serious about their Football (I have a BIL who is Very Serious), and...certain defensive backs aside, y'all deserved the win. And besides, 1985 was a very long time ago. I was a FRESHMAN, y'all. In high school. Ouch. The Colts-Pats game was the best game I've watched all year. It was high-energy incredible from the first snap, and in the end, time simply ran out on the Patriots. The teams were so evenly matched.

Now go kick Peyton Manning's scrawny backside in the Superbowl, hear?

Happy Monday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been lurking a bit, and your call to Bears fans brought me out. We are going to kick Manning's butt, for it is our time. And if it was appropriate, I'd be wearing blue & orange face paint at the office today.

And why do I say "our" and "we"? I'm not a member of the team. What makes people do that?

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got a new bed a few months ago, and I agree with you that the whole experience is a nightmare. All the stores have the same beds, but they name them different things so you can't compare! How do bed companies get away with this?

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home