Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I don't think it was Shel, either

I filed a request on Book Stumper last night: Monsters cause trouble in the house. We'll see what they come up with. Dad doesn't think it was Edward Gorey. He remembers a monster called a Mugwump, and one that lived under the stairs.

Last June when I went to Michigan I drove to Chicago and picked up my nephew there and we took a road trip to Grandpa and Grandma's. On the way back, my BIL gave me a "shortcut" to take to get out of Metro Chicago with no traffic. Well, there was no traffic! 120 miles in three hours of no traffic.

I admit I got a little impatient. The officer who busted me in Metropolis, IL was about as hard and mean a man as I've ever seen in my life (but I deserved the ticket). My mom usually gets out of tickets because she wears her work (medical) nametag everywhere. They aren't going to bust someone who might end up with the power to adjust their morphine drip someday, right?

Alas, no special privilege for art directors. So last night I spent a pleasant four hours in the company of an online, animated traffic school. It was a bit 'toony, but not so bad. Very informative. I learned about Physics and Three Seconds Plus and some other stuff, y'all. (Just kidding, I took Physics in high school and love it even though I am completely uninspired with math.)

My debt to society is paid. I paid $41.25 and four hours of no-knitting time and ate dinner at my computer. I hope to take the lesson away from this that eventually speeding will cut into my knitting time, and is not worth it. (Just kidding again, I don't like speeding much and really detest people who go UNDER the speed limit, can't we all just get along?)

Anyway. Must go dry my hair. Scary amounts of it fell out this morning, but that is probably because the last time I bothered to wash it was Saturday. (Ugh.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry 'bout you ticket Jen. I just got one too here in Davidson Co. (Tyne Blvd.) and I have to pay $97 to do the online traffic school. ($55 to Metro for the class and $42 to the 'Traffic Violation Bureau for Administrative Court Costs'.) Nice huh? : )
Do you ever go to Threaded Bliss anymore?

8:49 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow, $97. I guess I'm lucky it was Illinois...though I did pay over $100 in "court costs" already so I guess it's about the same.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA correction! I just called there (since your post reminded me about it -thanks) to get my online login to do the course and (other than their computers being down and not being able to sign anyone up right now) they also informed me that in the 22 days it's been since i got the ticket the fees have gone up another $10. It's now $65 to Metro + $42 to the bureau. The fun never stops! : )

9:29 AM  
Blogger Bev said...

say Jen, I would highly recommend a cruise control on your vehicle....we had an after market one put on after my DH got a $225 ticket in a state we don't live in and we just had to pay it!!

Happy knitting!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Dang! Poor girl! (I can't find your email address - email me!)

Bev - the sad thing was, I WAS using cruise control. 72. The speed was 65, I thought it was 70. No matter, I'm guilty.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Wow! That sucks. A speeding ticket for 7 mph! You'd think they would just give you a warning for such a small apeed overage. Hard-ass!

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I'm sorry about the ticket. Of course, like you I realize that if I'm speeding I could get a ticket and simply accept that fate.

I wanted to thank you, though. I've been searching for a book I read as a child in which I can only remember 1 or 2 lines and no one else remembered it (or the title). Well thanks to me spending an hour or so on Book Stumpers, I found my book title! Yay! So I wish you the best of luck with your stump.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

If only they knew - handing out tickets cutting back knitting time would be so much more effective!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Online traffic school?! Wow.

Guess I'm glad that my car's speedometer reads a few mph low. I get the satisfaction of thinking I'm going faster than I am...

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home