Friday, May 05, 2006

That Way Lies Madness

(with apologies to fans of King Lear)

Really, what was I thinking? I can't do math. I'm so mathematically challenged I can't read strings of numbers in my head - I have to do it out loud or I can't copy them. I have to cross out every number in a knitting pattern that I'm not going to use - or I'll use it.

So what made me decide to try to work out the gusset/short row heel by myself? Ahem.

I got through the increases okay, but then couldn't - even with the help of some very talented knitters - figure out how to decrease it back down. Where do I start? Blah, blah.

So I got home, ripped back to before the increases, knit the sock just a tad long (because I strongly suspect my Elfine heels simply weren't long enough) and put in a basic short-row heel:

Knit and Tonic sock

(My cuff looks dirty, huh? That's because I like my pantlegs to drag on the ground.)

(The designer in me loooooves how the stripes switch up at the heel - clever how they match sizewise but are different colors.)

This yarn is knitting up so wonderfully. It's beautiful fabric, cheery and punchy and with lovely vivid colors:

Knit and Tonic sock

I made the mistake of forgetting my Singulair the night before last. Last night to get back on schedule I took it anyway. And boy am I tired because of the crossover. And it's raining really hard. And I have to be at a meeting soon.

I ordered some sock yarn from Heather last night through KPixie. "Strawberry Fields." It's lovely. (Do I need more sock yarn? No.) You should check out her yarn if you haven't already - one-of-a-kind handpaints, and she's truly gifted about color.

(PS) I knitted a swatch with the Kool-Aid yarn last night at SnB - it's lovely! I'm going to try again some more this weekend. Fun!

9 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

Is that the Knit and Tonic colorway? That's gorgeous! I was looking at All Things Heather sock yarn myself at kpixie. I need some green sock yarn. I like the Avocado.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yes, it's Vesper Knit and Tonic. :)

Hey, I almost bought the avocado! But then I decided I needed PINK. (Which works out good, because you have tons of pink and I have tons of green.)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Jinjifore said...

I'm sad that the gusset thing didn't work out, but the new heel does look good.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Rev. Josh said...

I'm afraid I don't know what a gusset is (I'm sure my wife, Jen from yarnpie could tell me) but I understand about numbers not being your friend. That's why I'm a minister. All the number I need are in the Bible, all written down for me... LOL

Please visit me at http://dragonpastor.blogspot.com and check out the Socks for Sheep post (just scroll down, I just did a template change and... it's simpler), I'm trying to help Jen out...

3:08 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for the link - I've been to her blog before and I'm excited to see the project.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

PS - a gusset is a wedge of fabric included in a knitted piece to shape it - either bigger or smaller. Looks like a V. In the Koigu socks it's really apparent - scroll down.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hey - followed you from the knittyboard and was excited to see that there's another Reformed knitter out there! Am now inspired to do socks . . . you use two circs, right? Must find instructions . . .

7:06 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

I bought the purply one. I am a total sock yarn hussy.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice yarn! Nicer toenails! I do love the Heather yarn, too...I've got a couple of skeins wanting to grow up to be socks some day.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home