Sunday, January 01, 2006

Turns out

Turns out the cats were on a hunger strike and had the cat sitter worried. And they must have saved up the dooky for the day I came back.

Anyway, this:
Mistake Rib Scarf

is what became of the two skeins of Lamb's Pride Bulky. It's really pretty. Pattern follows since I made it up, and it's super simple. I apologize for the less than spectacular photos, my camera is dead at the moment. Click the photo and it will show you a bigger one.

Mistake Rib Scarf
8" wide by however long you like
2 skeins Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky (or 3 if you would like the scarf to hang to about mid-thigh)
size 10.5 US needles
one DVD case (for measuring fringe)
crochet hook

This stitch pattern works over a multiple of 4 sts + 3. The yarn I used knits up at 3 sts/in, and I knew the pattern would draw in a bit, so I went for 27 stitches as my cast on number. This gave me 14 ridges (front and back) for fringe. I used 3 strands at each ridge. So before you begin, wrap the yarn around the DVD case widthwise 84 times. Cut it ONCE so you have pieces that are about 10" long. Now you can knit the scarf until the yarn runs out. Skip this step if you don't want fringe.

Note about mistake rib - at first glance this looks like 2 x 2 ribbing, but because you end every row with p1 and begin every row with k2, the ribbing does not line up. So you have a k rib, a seed stitch, a p rib, a seed stitch going across. To stay on track with the pattern so you don't count yourself to death, keep in mind that the first k of the k2 will always fall as the first stitch of the k rib. I kept myself on track that way. It's surprisingly easy to lapse into knitting the knits or knitting the purls, when in reality you will knit a knit stitch, knit a purl stitch, purl a purl stitch and purl a knit stitch all the way across. Don't let it make you crazy.

CO 27 sts using long-tail cast on.
All rows: k2, p2 across, end p1.
Bind off all sts in pattern.

Attach fringe: group fringe yarn into threes, pull through rib stitches only with crochet hook. Pull yarn halfway through and even up the ends so you have a loop on one side and all the ends on the other. Put the ends through the loop and tighten.

Weave in ends and block.

Notes:
I love the hand of this yarn but it sheds a lot because of the 15% mohair content. The yarn is a single-ply fiber so it's going to be uneven and a little homespun looking coming off the ball, though it is beautiful and knits (and blocks) wonderfully. Don't be alarmed when you are knitting it up.

Also it bleeds tremendously when you block it. I filled the bathroom sink with warmish water and shampoo and gave it a soak for about five minutes, then squeezed, rinsed and wound up in a towel and stamped on it to blot. The water in the sink was about the color the water turns when I dye my hair. It was a watery dark brown. Don't be alarmed - it holds its color. When you lay it out to dry you will notice how it draws in by nature. That's the ribbing. Block it out - stretch it widthwise - and it will cooperate better.

I wasn't all that happy with the stitch pattern for the first few rows. I knew I wanted to knit something using this stitch pattern but I was skeptical of how it looked at first. Well, it's lovely. Because of the mohair content and the spin and sheen of the yarn, it absolutely glows. The stitches are dense and lofty and super soft. If I had known this ahead of time I would have double-stranded it with kidsilk haze or something in a nice copper colour. I have a feeling that would be a truly gorgeous undertaking.

Have fun knitting!

2 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Nice job! I love the LP bulky, it is weird to knit for me at the start, but defines stitches nice.
Happy New Year!

10:03 PM  
Blogger jenifleur said...

Yep I used some LP that actually stained the bamboo needles. At least they don't skimp with the dyes I guess.

Nice job on the scarf, and nice job taking a pic that shows the pattern on black yarn!

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home