Saturday, March 01, 2008

Clevuh

Y'all know I am a fan of dorky hair salon names (Hair Affair, Hair Peace, Shear Elegance) and goofy dog-grooming salon names (Dirty Dogs Done Dirt Cheap) -

but I am also a fan of the cheesy church-sign sayings you see down here in the South. Puzzlers. Embarrassingly cutesy stuff. Like, "God answers knee-mail." "Worry is today's mouse eating tomorrow's cheese." One local church had SINNERS WELCOME emblazoned on it for years. One time when I drove by I saw that it said underneath that, "Sarah Jackson, you're welcome too!"

(???)

So of course we always called that one the Sinners Welcome Church.

I saw one today that baffled me: "There are no fire extinguishers in hell." That one is just plain paradoxical.

Today I visited the craziest place I have ever been on earth, probably the craziest place I'll ever visit, and I took LOTS of pictures. Tomorrow I'll post. You'll love. I mean, some things can *only* happen in America. (Sorry! it's true and you'll see why soon!)

5 Comments:

Blogger J.P. said...

Poor Sarah Jackson. Bless her heart.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

My old grooming place was called Dog Eclipse. My kids didn't get it until I told them to say it out loud. Clever indeed.

7:29 AM  
Blogger jackie said...

my favorite church sign is one we drive by on the way to visit my pseudo-in-laws. there are flames on the sign, and the church is called the (i am not making this up!) "holy pentacostal southern baptist church on fire." i bet they don't have any fire extinguishers either.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah Jackson is the ex-hooker now dating a priest on that awful show with Anne "Crazy" Heche...I think it's called "Men in Trees." So unfortunately, it's not as awesome as it seems...though it would be pretty great if Sarah Jackson also happened to be the name of some sinful cousin of one of the clergy...

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our local wackoo
"How will you be spending eternity?
Smoking or Non-Smoking?"

Or the one with the worst Grammar.

"Life Final Exam - Judgment"
Who needs a posessive?

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home