Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Joke of the day

Hee hee

For some reason I am always surprised when it snows here in February. While those of you in northern climates control your laughter, let me remind you that I *did* grow up in Michigan, less than three miles from the Lake Itself, and it *did* snow almost every single day there from November to the end of March, so snow doesn't surprise me. Snow *here* does surprise me, in February that is, but I don't know why. I guess I always think that by February we should be getting on towards spring weather. The misery of Pollen Season starts early here, and spring in Tennessee has greatly contributed to my longstanding opinion that Spring is the Most Hated of Seasons, the season of sneezing, mold and overly hot temperatures. However, this season I have a new air cleaner coming to help out, so maybe I will enjoy it (that is so, so doubtful).

Yesterday morning it snowed while I was getting ready for work. I work about twenty minutes away from where I live, and by the time I got about halfway it picked up pretty good, but there were no traces of it once I got to where I park my car during work.

So yeah, I took a picture of snow. First, because I'm a weather geek, and second - because the flakes were huge and round and really spectacular.

So this is what snow looks like in Tennessee. Hehehe. (Even I am laughing at it.) Occasionally the ground does get covered, but it usually melts by noon or so.

Tonight at 9pm central time, you should go outside and look at the moon. It will be a full moon, blood-red lunar eclipse, which you can read about pretty much anywhere online. I read that it will be red because the moon will be reflecting light from earth's sunsets.

Trippy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Hmm, I'll actually be out and about at 9 pm today - thanks for the heads up!

Hey, it's pretty snow. I'll trade ya - it's -11F here right now.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Mistrmi said...

Growing up in Nashville, it seemed like it NEVER snowed! Since I've moved, it seems to snow every year! What is up with that?

5:21 PM  
Blogger Tenna Draper said...

actually, your information is incorrct. The lunar eclipse is RED because when the sun is directly opposite the moon-earth-sun continuum, RED is the only color of light that can squeeze past the earth to shine on the moon. I watch PBS (Mr. Horkheimer??) right after Red-Green's show on Saturday nights. He's a star-gazer, and talks about all sorts of night sky things that are coming up in the week following.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

We got snow too, and lots of it. I'll be posting a picture of it on my blog... not that you've never seen snow before, having grown up in Michigan. Those were some cold winters!

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home