Friday, January 25, 2008

Another lesson in colour

Sometimes colours that you think are going to be positively obnoxious together (but don't care) actually look pretty subdued in combination:

Bird in Hand back

Personally, I'd never say that bright gold and paprika would actually WORK together, though they definitely look fantastic. The gold was just too bright. The paprika too all-consuming. But just look what happens when you break them up!

Bird in Hand palm

(I think there is a mistake in the lowest part of the cuff before the picot, and yes, I seamed up the picot as I went, because I have an awfully hard time finding the correct row later. I may do some duplicate stitching over the mistake.)

I can definitely tell the parts where I've used the knitting thimble. I have never been able to tell before, but my stitches are much, much more even with it. I think this is because I'm a total idiot with holding yarn in my right hand, and it shows in my knitting.

It was cold last night. I worked on my mitten in the company of several esteemed Republicans, Fee cuddled up with my favorite childhood toy, the esteemed Big Cinnamon, and Grady hid under the covers. (Big C came to me on Christmas morning in 1973 - I was 2 1/2. Fee loves him like crazy and is always cuddling on him.)

Fee and Big Cinnamon

If she looks a little odd it's because her eyes are totally painted. The flash made her pupils disappear. I put them back, and I think the catch lights may be just slightly crooked.

Happy Friday! Is anybody else as glad as I am that Amy Winehouse went to rehab?

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Chelsea said...

Love the mitts! I really like the color combo.

9:22 AM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

Wow, you're right, those mittens are awesome!

And I bust you on the painted eyes! Good work, though, on capturing the catchenal malvolence ;)

9:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just love those mitts! How to do you seam picot as you go, btw? I also always struggle with lining the stitches up after.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Love the colors!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The color combo works brilliantly.

Aw. Fee and her bear. Her eyes look fine to me, nice job!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

I'm lovin' the colors. You did just decribe half the boys from my middle school math class--the scarey thing is I married one of them! (He's still sweet & never had a mullet. Whew!)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Those colors really do look great together- the perfect pick me up for cold, dreary days!

7:22 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

I want those colours together in my unmade mittens. I'm missing Heath Ledger right now and am not really sure if Amy Winehouse was a singer or actor. But I hope rehab cures her.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Lovely Mittens! I think color is great match and also the stitch is so pretty~


Also chack out my knitting blog too see what to think ..if have a time! Also leave tyour comment too!

Thanks~

Charles

3:00 AM  
Blogger Betty said...

I really love those mittens! And the colors you are using.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Oh, wow. I can't believe how incredible those two colors look together! Who'd have thought.

And the Bird in Hand mittens are on my must knit list. Thanks for the WIP shot, it's always fun to see something in different colors (particularly when said colors miraculously work together... I'm still amazed).

2:44 PM  
Blogger jackie said...

wow that's pretty! i don't even LIKE orange, and i LOVE those. color is so awesome.

1:25 PM  
Blogger LisaBe said...

omg. yours is my new favorite blog. wit, beautiful knitting, AND comics?? please don't be a dream, please don't be a dream, please don't be a dream... :) can i find you on ravelry?

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home