Thursday, October 11, 2007

FO and two cats

For some reason on Sunday I was struck by an uncontrollable urge to knit a turtle, so knit a turtle is what I did. Meet
Sheldon.

Sheldon

Aerial of Sheldon

I couldn't find the plastic safety eyes, so I used this tutorial for making them. It was really really really hard to punch circles out of the felt. (I think I bought the wrong felt or something.) But eventually it worked. I used Tahki Cotton Classic and size 3 and size 4 needles. Otherwise, followed the pattern completely blindly. Had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Sometimes that's a good thing! Very fun, very fast, and what a nice little terrapin Sheldon turned out to be. (That is a leash around his neck, in case he gets unruly.)

Somebody thinks she's hiding:

Somebody thinks she's hiding

And Grady is generally annoyed by the paparazzi trying to take his picture while he trains for his professional snoozing competitions.

Grady reaches new heights of snooziness

12 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

Cute as can be! I'm getting really excited about knitting toys lately -- I like the mouse in the Knit 2 Together book.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Bogie said...

He's cute! I didn't have as much trouble punching circles out of felt--I bought a square of felt at my craft store and used a single hole punch meant for paper. Well, you saw a photo of it on my blog. Anyway, scissors would have worked just as well. He looks great!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

SO cute! Love the sleepy kitty!!!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love his little carapace. Cute as can be.

9:02 AM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

That's ridiculously cute! Hahahaha. Love his tiny neck with a leash.

And my catchenal units also "hide" like that. And are shocked and put out when I find them.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think maybe my paper punch wasn't sharp enough, or the felt was too thick. I ended up using our three-hole driller at work, and trimming the edge with scissors. :)

11:32 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Sheldon is so cute! That was one of the most fun knits. I need to do it again. I may have to check out that tutorial for the eyes.

12:11 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

That is one splendid little turtle! Don't let him get away...

1:07 PM  
Blogger esp said...

Missed you tonight.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Cute Sheldon!!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love it when kitties hide their faces when they sleep - especially if it leads to kitty snoring.

Cute Sheldon!

5:53 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Aw Sheldon is lovely! I love your kitty photos!

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home