Saturday, September 22, 2007

Zeal, thou art mine enemy

This morning I got up and was working on some seaming projects when I noticed (since I'm not usually home in the mornings, and windows face east) that all I could see were little kitty nose-prints on the windows. At a certain level, which can only mean Fee has been stamping her little personality all over the glass, all day long. She's an equal-opportunity nose-stamper, as the smudges appear to be on every window in the house.

So, I mixed up some water with a glug of vinegar and got a microfiber cloth and set to work. The first window I cleaned seemed to be streaky and smudgy on the outside, and since it backs up to the patio I thought I'd try to tilt the window out to clean it. Somehow or other it dropped out of the track and came all the way out, and it's a good thing y'all were not around to hear the string of words that came out of my mouth, because it was positively marine in nature. I took a deep breath, vowed to watch my language, and commenced an hour of trying to fit this crazy thing back into its crazy track.

Now, I know what y'all will say, that this is why God invented men. But sadly there were no men to be had, and in such instances a girl has to rely on cheek and a little bit of determination. Tools were brought out, and (I'm sorry to say) after a bit more crappy language and quite a lot of sweating, I finally got the window cleaned and back in its track.

The other windows were cleaned on the insides only, and I don't think I need to explain why THAT executive decision was made.

I'm trying to seam the sleeves on Jemima, which seems more difficult than it needs to be because I am having trouble finding that little gutter which runs 1.5 stitches in without also snagging an increase (therefore making it lumpy) every 12 rows or so:

Jemima seam

And this is a picture of my first Poseidon sock, done nearly to the cuff. (The second sock is done through the heel.) I am trying to decide on the length, because I seem to have a crazy amount of yarn still, and I have no idea when to quit. I think another two inches of leg and then the cuff will be all right.

Poseidon, again

8 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

LOL @ the positively "marine in nature" language. Nice work, though, I'd probably have just taped up a garbage bag and called it a day. Jemima looks awesome. I LOVE the socks!!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I love the dark green of the sock.

8:27 PM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

Eek! Being a slacker is a very good thing, eh? Eeeeeeeeeeeeek. Scary!

What yarn is Jemima? Looks positively squeezy!

Mmm socks. Pretty!

9:23 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I can totally relate to the window fiasco... except that before I used the microfiber cloth on it, I had to take some dish detergent and water to it first... between the storm windows and the everything else it turned into a 3 hour window washing.

I think I qualify now to put window washer on my resume.

2:40 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

LOL. Good to know there's someone else out there who can relate to the window ordeal! Cat claws + Screened windows = big holes! (my fault...i left the window open)

Love the socks!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Grandma Barb said...

You erased "nose art"!!! Shame on you!! :)

12:16 PM  
Blogger smelk-o-matic said...

What is that green yarn??!!! It is gorgeous.

Smiles,
Erin

3:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

All Things Heather semi-solid (I think it's semi-solid anyway). It's super yummy!

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home