Friday, September 07, 2007

WIP Wednesday, but on Friday instead!

I never do WIP Wednesday, except for this week, and I'm doing it on Friday, so ha! HAHAHA!

(Just kidding, I am not actually crazy, but then again, I did submit Fiona's Porch Princess sweater to Crazy Aunt Purl's contest. The really crazy part is that I already had a cat sweater to submit. And I see my Crazy membership is about to expire.)

(You can tell I was up at 3am making a set of Moo cards for myself. Insomnia is fun!)

So yesterday I was getting ready and I looked at the cord of my several-months-old hair straightener and it says on the tag that it contains LEAD, and had a big scary warning about cancer and birth defects and even though I am not currently a reproducing member of society, the "wash hands after handing" written in perfect Engrish did get me a little worried. I ended up at Target trying to open boxes to look at the cord (bad idea) and finally decided to just buy one and try it out. For reasons I don't fully understand, my new non-leaded Remington straightener with pink (pink!!!) tourmaline plates makes me crazyhappy. Because really, I'm a nutter AND was up for an hour or so when I should have been snoozing.

And...knitting. I have put it off as much as I can this week for no reason at all! I love knitting! I got a lot done in Michigan, mostly on these lovely Hedgerow socks. The pattern went out last week on Knitter's Review and I had to make them immediately. After a bit of knitting I was doubtful that I'd like them very much, but I stuck with it and...I love them! Love love love them! Like I haven't loved socks I've made in a long time, unless you count how my friends almost had to have an intervention for me because I didn't want to send off my Sockapalooza socks. (Hi Maggi!)

Anyway, here is a picture, and yes they really are orange.

Hedgerow socks

And one of the heel, because it's tricksy how you line the pattern up and somehow end up with it all right even though your left brain is screaming it's all wrong. When cooler heads prevail and stitches are carefully counted, you get this!

Hedgerow socks heel

I have made some progress on Jemima, on to the second sleeve. This is a laugh because Annie keeps posting about how I am ahead of her, and little does she know I've knit about 10 rows on the thing in the last week. Since it's a raglan and in-pieces, y'all get a stack (no ends woven in! none!!!):

Jemima Pieces

And here is a garter-rib sock (which you really must try, multiple of 4, k2p2 rib, and throw in an all-knit row every other time, it's lovely) done in the Lily Chin Chelsea yarn. It's 60-40 wool-cotton, and I don't think it's as bouncy as wool (obviously) but will probably make some slouchy socks and has a lovely hand.

Garter Rib slouch socks

Happy Friday!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Nothing wrong with orange socks ;) I have two orange shirts I like to wear and I don't have any socks to match them. Maybe I need to make orange socks, too :)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Mistrmi said...

Your WIPs are wonderful, but I find myself ogling the lovely quilt underneath. Is there anything cozier, more inviting, than a quilt?

Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The quilt is my couch cover. Love the quilt! :)

10:53 AM  
Blogger Delia said...

Thank you for posting the picture of the cat in sweater again. It made me laugh just as hard as the first time.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I lurve me some garter rib. And I also lurve me some orange. So yay for WIP Wednesday on Friday!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Love the hedgerow socks. I'm printing out the pattern now to add to the cue.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Lovely socks!! Hehe..garter rib must be the "in" sock lately!

10:18 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I submitted both pics I have of Ripple modeling sweaters. You ain't crazy.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

You are totally kicking my tail. I'm going to work hard tonight, but I'll also be sipping wine, so no promises ;)
LOVE those socks! I really need to learn socks.

Also, Engrish is one of my favorite sites. "Elvis is Dead, Sinatra is Dead, and Me, I am also Not So Good."

Love it!

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home