Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Notes to Self

I am still really busy and still trying to think of witty posts - unsuccessfully. So I'll just add in a few things I've learned in the past couple days.

1. Do what those sweater and book-writing gurus say and join new yarn only at the edges of a piece. Even though you will never see it in the middle of a round of sock or in the midst of row #217 on that scarf you're knitting, a sweater drapes differently than a sock or a scarf, and in the middle of a large, flat expanse of stockinette you'll be able to see no matter how carefully you hide the ends. Fourteen rows past this join you'll decide you can't take it anymore, and you'll have to rip out 1,463 stitches, put your 100 stitches back on the needles, fix any messy bits, and rewind your yarn. This will take a half-hour of knitting time. (Do not ask me how I know this.)

2. Even if your Mom is on the phone telling you about how she has the flu and a nebulizer and all sorts of scariness to take care of her, go for that walk. Just bring the phone with you. It feels better than not-walking. (This was definitely worth the 25 minutes you got outside.)

3. It really is kind of embarrassing if you're going through a slump about reading your bible to find yourself reading it only when you are upset.

4. Use a small spoon when eating out of the peanut butter jar. Also, if you're going to have popcorn for dinner, measure out the butter you put on it.

Happy Wednesday from me and the kitties. I am almost through my crunch. The big ol' stockinette back I am knitting right now seems like a good metaphor - showing up and making an effort count for at least half, and stick-to-it-iveness is very important here. I had a little trouble shutting down the machine last night and ended up doing a new banner. It's a bit different for me. But not so much.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Mmmmm... peanut butter out of the jar. Popcorn is one of my favorite suppers. :)

8:45 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yikes!! That stinks! Try to save yarn and it'll be a bump that bugs you forever! I like the new banner! :)

8:53 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Nice banner! And some good lessons for us all. :)

Take care!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, number 3, that's me. Upset and/or desperate.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home