Monday, April 16, 2007

Finished

Finished

Pattern: Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl, by Susan Pierce Lawrence. Available here. Very well-written pattern that contains tips and tricks for knitting lace, simple row instructions, and two charts. This is a Mother's Day present for my stepmom. It was supposed to be a Christmas present, but my interpretation of the "Flower Basket Shawl" pattern was disastrous.
Yarn: Alpaca With A Twist Fino, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 100g ball. Held double-stranded and used 60g of yarn.
Needles: Addi Natura size 8
Modifications: Well, obviously, the yarn. The pattern calls for Wool in the Woods but I wanted to see if I could use this yarn instead. I worked 11 repeats of the body pattern instead of 10. I had enough to do more but after that each repeat encompassed about 1600 stitches and I didn't really want it huge.
Finished size: about 30" x 50" after blocking
Started / finished: Friday April 6 / Saturday April 14

Blocking this piece was another experience that left me equally excited and terrified. Would it open up like I thought it would? Was I pinning it too tightly? Would the cat PLEASE get off the thing? I don't think I'll be knitting a shawl again anytime soon. Though this was fun to make, I am not a shawl kind of gal.

As a treat for finishing this on time, I bought myself "Favorite Socks" last night. I may start with those intarsia footlets. I'm fairly fascinated by PGR's ultimate intarsia technique. Best I can tell, she has you knit the sock with one right-side and one wrong-side row each round, so both yarns end up in the same place. I've got some wool in the stash for them, at any rate.

9 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

The shawl is gorgeous!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Just beautiful!! A great present!

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

It's totally gorgeous!

Hee hee - there's some sort of call that blocking lace makes to cats...

9:41 AM  
Blogger twellve said...

this made me crack up:

"Would the cat PLEASE get off the thing?"

i know exactly what you mean!

9:43 AM  
Blogger DB said...

Wow! That's a lot of knitting in a short amount of time.

I'm thinking about doing myself a shawl, but I'm still scared of the idea of a commitment that large.

10:24 AM  
Blogger MezzoDiva said...

TOTALLY FREAKIN' AWESOME!
You are the bionic knitter!
That shawl is a thing of beauty.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Niquie said...

That looks awesome Jen! you do great work!

5:53 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

LOVE the color. It's just an overall gorgeous piece of work. Thanks for the link. It's time for another lace shawl on my needles.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home