Sunday, April 15, 2007

8 days later

Can you believe this? EIGHT DAYS?

I'll be honest: I was afraid to stop. I was afraid that if I didn't knit my absolute guts out every time I touched this thing, the mojo would leave and I'd make a mistake, or forget, or something terrible.

I was afraid that if I put in a lifeline, I'd screw up. I knit this with four stitch markers and no lifeline. The entire thing. You know that phrase about being out in the wind? That was me.

Today I knit 19 rows that each had around 200 stitches. That is 4000 stitches, give or take. My right hand hurts like crazy. But I didn't dare stop. Toward the end I was talking to myself like I do in a hard workout. "Ten more stitches, you can do ten standing on your head, come on, bind off, bind off, let's go." I am sure the neighbors across the way saw me knitting and muttering and since it looked like a large red hairball on the needles, I'll probably forever be known as a certifiable wacko. Or something.

I was totally obsessed with this. And hopefully, Lord willing and the cats don't trash it while it's blocking (they love them some alpaca), it will even make it to Michigan by Mother's Day.

Tomorrow (Sunday) I wet block it and give y'all the tell-all on what I did. Right now, I'm going to bed. I feel slightly sick to my stomach, like I just had a big adrenaline rush.

Forest Canopy Shawl

Forest Canopy Shawl 2

21 Comments:

Blogger twellve said...

looks great! i have the same worries about forgetting where i am in pattern or messing something up, but sometimes when you gotta knit, you gotta knit!

3:07 AM  
Blogger Grandma Barb said...

You amaze me, girl!! You did that shawl in 8 days. My head is spinning!! I have the first triangle done :( and that is going to get ripped because I think it will look better on a smaller needle. Your work is just so beautiful, but please get some sleep and rest your hands.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Shorty said...

Amazing!!!

I'm going to have to try my hand at lace one day. You are an inspiration!

Thanks for sharing.

S.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Betty said...

I am in awe!

That was quite intrepid of you to not put in any lifelines.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Bee said...

it looks amazing!!menjoy it ;)

8:11 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Jen I am amazed you finished in just 8 days! The color is beautiful and I am sure it will be well loved!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just spectacularly gorgeous. I'd say give yourself a pat on the back, but you need to rest your hands. . .

8:21 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Hooray! It looks fantastic!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Wannabe said...

8 DAYS? That might take me 8 MONTHS! Amazing. What a lucky mama you have!

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So beautiful! Congratulations.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I am in awe.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Your mom is a lucky recipient of such a beautiful shawl. Gorgeous!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks awesome!

11:51 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

beautiful! I can't believe you did this in 8 days!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Jen. That is just...(searching for an adjective that hasn't been used) supercalafra... never mind.... Let's just say it boggles the mind to think how much work went into that gorgeous piece. And in only EIGHT days??? You rock!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Martina said...

Wow! I am agog!

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is fabulous! Congratulations! If you're mother doesn't love it, take it back and give her some chocolate or something else. Beautiful.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Gorgeous Jen!!! 8 days and no lifelines...you can relax now, it's done! :)

10:28 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

It looks so beautiful! Now I'm feeling inspired to pick mine up again.

8 days has got to be a record.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Dk's Wife said...

That is just gorgeous! I love it!

8:28 AM  
Blogger moirae said...

Oooh. That's some serious Olympic Style Knitting.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home