Sunday, February 04, 2007

One of Fee

My new bed is calling, so I'll just give you a picture of Miss Fee. She was sitting on her kitty condo today and looking out in the yard. I grabbed the camera and started shooting, one after the other. She sat there for me for an abnormally long time.

To add to Chris' excellent advice on photo taking for pets -

- Turn OFF all volume, sound and shutter settings. Your pet may become interested in the sound and run at you or become irritated at it and leave. There is no actual shutter. It's a computerized noise, and you don't need it.

- Better to photograph your animals in clear daylight. By clear I mean "no shadows." Overcast is really good, morning light even better. You'd be amazed at how much drama window light can add. Flash tends to make animals mad, and if you get close enough to really see them it will make hot spots on their coat. You can use flash, but use it sparingly and do use the red-eye reduction. Cats have cells called the tapetum lucidum behind their retinas that amplify visible light so they can see optimally at twilight. (This is why your cat has Crazy Hour sometime after sunset everyday. Instinct prevails - they are twilight hunters.) This reflected light will come right back at your camera and your cat will have gold or glowy robot eyes. Daylight doesn't do this because it's flat and even. A bright flash of light will light up the kitty's retinas and you'll have some retouching ahead of you.

- Be patient (echoing Chris here). I took at least 30 shots today to get one good one. I got several mediocre shots as well. Photo editing is really important. You have to be kind of ruthless. Look for personality, a good expression, and sharp focus.

Anyway.

2-04

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

wow, beautiful! :) One of the most gorgeous shots I've ever seen, not kidding.

That's also excellent advice, I shall remember it when I try to photography my kitty.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Chris' tutoring is working—that is a magnificent photo of Fee. Well done!

12:05 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Uh, I'm an art director in real life - no tutoring here! I went to college for this stuff. Glad you like them though! :)

6:33 AM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

OKay, I don't really like cats but that is one gorgoues kitty!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Great additional tips and a gorgeous shot of Fee. A-ha - art director. No wonder you have such gorgeous pictures. :)

7:56 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Lovely picture of fee

9:55 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Excellent picture!! Thanks for the information, now I know why my cat gets red or green eye! :)

9:56 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

You mean there's some scientific reason for the early evening crazies? Damn. And here I thought my cats were just plain nuts. There goes that theory.

Fabulous picture. I'll certainly heed your wonderful advice.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Beautiful shot - beautiful kitty! Thanks for the tips!
(((hugs)))

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home