Friday, February 02, 2007

In Keeping with The Theme

My own silent poetry reading:


LORD, who am I to teach the way
To little children day by day,
So prone myself to go astray?

I teach them KNOWLEDGE, but I know
How faint they flicker and how low
The candles of my knowledge glow.

I teach them POWER to will and do,
But only now to learn anew
My own great weakness through and through.

I teach them LOVE for all mankind
And all God’s creatures, but I find
My love comes lagging far behind.

Lord, if their guide I still must be,
Oh let the little children see
The teacher leaning hard on Thee.

The Teacher
Leslie Pinckney Hill
The Book of American Negro Poetry, 1922

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

I love the ideas that poem carries. Nice one. :)

7:52 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

Lovely, lovely....may I borrow it?

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home