Tuesday, February 06, 2007

22 degrees

My apartment just doesn't seem to warm up. I have a whole wall of windows - not a plate-glass, but large, eastern-facing windows in the living room, dining room and my bedroom. This is fantastic in Tennessee summers, where the sun is so hot between 4pm and 6pm that you really think you're going to die in it, and if your windows face that way it's enough to melt the paint off the walls. Because my windows face west, my apartment is quite livable in the summer months. In the winter when it's warm in the sun and cold in the shade, though, my apartment is freezing.

How DID those women live way back when with wool summer dresses, etc? No wonder everybody was always fainting.

We seem to be in the middle of a serious, non-moving deep freeze. I feel the same way about my knitting. I'm most of the way through another felted clog (sole #2 left on clog 1), but my lovely Monkey socks have stalled and I need to put in some serious effort to finish those green socks I started way back when. Also, I'm making Elbac but I'm not loving the fabric. I am seriously thinking of overdyeing the yarn in brown, and I'm still toying with the idea of making a ribbed cable scarf that has big giant cables - like 16 stitches wide - but I'm really kind of stuck on the math. Actually I have it all worked out in theory but I need to decide what I want to do about the execution. It is really time to swatch. And those lovely Brittany birch cable needles I bought this weekend will help ease the pain (even I'm not crazy enough to do a 16-stitch ribbed cable with no cable needle).

So, the cold air is stalled, my knitting is stalled, and I don't have any glamorous kitty pictures to show you. I have been taking pictures of these cats almost daily for about four years, and I feel like I'm finally starting to get some good shots. In college I would have loved a digital camera instead of the clunky Pentax K-1000 I hauled with me everywhere I went. Even buying bulk film was pricey by today's standards. I do miss the smell of the photo lab, though I don't miss the hours I spent there. Anyway, I never did much with live subjects back in college; it was always a still life or a barn or some shadows or a cool graveyard. I am still sorely lacking in that department, and learning as I go.

I remember that Photoshop 2.0 was the first version I ever used, and if I could get to the Photoshop lab and get a machine that had 8mb of RAM I knew I'd be able to get my assignment done for that class. Today at work I have 2.5GB. That would have sounded space-age to me 12 or 13 years ago.

Thanks for all the good comments on my little tips. I'll try to come up with some more basics.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Brr. Just brrr. I'm ready for some warmer weather!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I had a K-1000 that I got while in high school. Sadly, it changed owners unwillingly on my part when my car was broken into at work and the camera was among the items permanently borrowed. Lesson learned: don't leave this stuff in the car. Ever. That was seven or eight years ago. I was camera-less during that time period because I couldn't make up my mind whether to stay analog or go digital. Last summer, I discovered the digital version of the K-1000, and bought my Pentax istDL SLR--a digital SLR that mimics the K-1000 in feel and look but is all digital, baby! I love it! You're right, no pricey film, and what a joy to be able to take as many photos as desired (or as there is room for) and be able to delete the bad ones! It stays home, though; but if it does travel with me it is glued to my side. I'm glad I went digital. Combined with PhotoShop, it's the only way to go. It was nice to hear about someone else's K-1000. I loved that camera.

4:08 PM  
Blogger TheBunny said...

I'll always be devoted to my Pentax K1000. I've dropped that thing off the back of a horse and hauled it around Europe and it still takes the most beautiful pics.

I do miss the dark room though. I could spend days in there making prints of the same shot over and over to get contrast just right.

What a geek!

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home