Monday, January 08, 2007

Even the Sheep Looked Back

Tons O Pictures Follow!

So. Yesterday I took my cousin and his wife out for a tour of Nashville, including the Opryland Hotel. Now, to the uninitiated, touring a hotel sounds really crazy strange. But...think Vegas, not Howard Johnson's. We are talking Destination Hotel. Shops, spas, gardens, fountains, coffee shops, and this:

We All Looked Back

(I am not actually sure what this is.) I was looking for a sign that said Creepy People From Bible Times, but I didn't see it. Or possibly "we know all the angels in the Bible are male, but that didn't stop us from making some real purty ones." These stone...things...are terribly cold, lifeless and frightening. I was going to take a picture of the only child they portrayed - a little kid playing a flute - but I was laughing too hard and it was too disturbing. To my untrained eye it looked like they made all the other statues and had one adult-sized head leftover, and decided "Hey! Let's make a creepy kid out of it!". It was creepy. I am all for all manner of artwork and tomfoolery, but the phrase "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should" comes to mind.

I believe after a day's contemplation that these are all the people who looked back when God was raining fire down on Sodom and Gomorrah. Somewhere in there is probably Lot's wife, and I'm guessing that is one of Lot's sheep. (Just kidding. But they do look like salt! Y'all!)

And in that spirit, my cousins kissed an angel:

Yes, but

(Well, really, he smelled the angel's ear.) I am posting this because I want y'all to see the GORGEOUS knitted wrap she is wearing. Isn't that so pretty? (Click the picture for the option of seeing it bigger.)

There was a cool old telephone in the lobby, with a cord wrapped in fabric. Why don't we decorate things like this anymore? Because we are All Modern? Well, sometimes Modern is Ugly. This is not.

Telephone

Next stop, I finished my Crazy Socks, which are generally ugly but make me smile! and I wore them today:

Crazy socks are done

(Look at how even the pooling at the ankle matches! HAPPY!)

Grady shook his head in disbelief, and remarked that He Is Turning Purple:

Grady

Fee ran from the camera, Almost:

Kitty Weed

And I started a baby kimono in King Tut Cotton for an expecting friend:

Start of a kimono

Life is good. Don't you think???

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The kimono is going to look so precious with that pink!

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like U.G.L.Y. socks! Your cousin's wrap is to die for too!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Martina said...

Fun socks! Life is good! Yes!

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did your cousin knit her wrap? It is very nice. The pooling on your socks is cool, too :)

7:31 AM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

Dude, are you totally bribing the cat with catnip!?!?

7:48 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yes, that is a bribe! And the wrap was bought from a store, I saw the tag. I think we need to deconstruct it and write up the pattern. Yo.

8:10 AM  
Blogger TheBunny said...

I heart your socks.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home