Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Yikes

Yesterday my hairstylist was putting my color on and commented on a new, very thin patch of hair I have on the left side of my head. She said it was very unusual. (Not bald, not scalp showing, just a lot thinner than the rest of my head.) She commented when she washed my hair that an awful lot seemed to come out in the wash. Later when my hair was dry she said the whole texture of my hair has changed since my last visit 10 weeks ago. She told me to get my thyroid checked.

Is that weird? Low thyroid runs in my family, so I might as well. It just seems odd coming from my hairdresser. It would explain some other things, but nothing I've felt was worthy of going to the doctor, like peeling fingernails. I'm skeptical but we'll see.

In other news, I used her Chi flatiron and man, what a difference. I'm ordering one of those babies asap - probably October after the Great Car Fiasco of 2006. I woke up this morning and did not need to straighten my hair. That alone is worth the price!

So today I'm calling my doc, huh.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That is weird. Although...way back in 1987, I had my annual check up with my then-OB/GYN, and he was checking around some atypical areas. He came upon my thyroid and then started asking me to swallow, blah, blah, blah. Turns out I had a thyroid nodule that had appeared at some point. I didn't have any symptoms, so who knows how long it had been there. Anyway, I've been on thyroid meds every since. There are a slew of low thyroid symptoms (e.g., lethargy, weight gain and others). Maybe you can take a look online and see if you have any?

8:04 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Hair loss has also been linked to certain birth control pills. It happened to me!!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

The good news is that if it is your thyroid, the fix is easy.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Coomer said...

I wouls say that if someone who deals with hair all day and knows your hair well noticed a difference then it's worth making a doctor's appointment for. Could be a medication. Could be diet. Could be a number of things. But it's worth having a once over for. Especially if you have a history of thyroid issues in your family. You may need to ask your doctor to order several different thyroid tests and not just the regular run of the mill one that can often miss things. Best wishes with it all!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. You should get it checked out, it could be something else, your doc might know.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home