Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Pictures!

All right, so we've established how little it takes to make me laugh. (Honestly, sometimes it takes even less.) I took a break from Flower Basket Shawl knitting to try and figure out what exactly I'm supposed to be doing next. I've finished the first repeat of the lower basket chart and finally figured out that I'm knitting from the neck down. But I don't know what to do about the repeats yet, so before I start round 2 of that chart, I'll post some pictures.

So, let me introduce you to the prettiness of northern Michigan. If a road trip to this area of the country is ever in the cards for you, by all means stop at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. It's absolutely stunning - huge, 400+ foot dunes, sparkling water, breathtaking views. But don't take my word for it - I have pictures! Lots of pictures.

These are pictures of the big dune, at the very end of a scenic drive where you go up and up and think that surely this whole sand dune think must be a clever joke. Here is the top:
Dune climb down to the water

Two views from the side, showing people climbing back up:
Dune climb from the side

Another view of the dune climb

A view of Glen Lake, an inland lake that is in the park. When I was little we used to swim in Glen Lake all the time - it was warm and shallow and you could wade halfway out into the lake before it went over your knees. Nobody swims in it much now:
Glen Lake

Here's me at the top (no, we didn't climb down):
Me at the dunes

Here's a flower I liked, but nearly stepped into a large amount of poison ivy to photograph (thanks for stopping me, Dad!):
Pretty flowers

Here's a view from my hometown of Manistee, from the south pier looking inland on Sunday morning. This part of the pier leads to the break, which leads to shore.
South Pier at Manistee

Two happy ducks:
Ducks

A trip with Nephew to Ludington State Park later gave us this opportunity to cheese up the camera:
Nephew mugs for camera

(That's my brother with him, his daddy.)

We saw a little turtle at the dam:
Mr Turtle

And I came back home and knitted. That's the start of the FBS in red, my Schaeffer Anne sock, and two skeins of Gloss sent to me in a lovely Knittyboard swap.
Knitting stuff

8 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

WOW! Amazing pictures!! I would hate that walk up though! Your nephew is a cutie! Sounds like you had a good time! :)

11:09 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Great photos - what a beautiful place!

4:45 AM  
Blogger Betty said...

Beautiful! I love the color of the water.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

Wow. That place is beautiful!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures - I had NO idea how gorgeous the dunes were.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Wow! So beautiful! And I love the picture of the ducks.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SLEEPING BEAR! LUDINGTON! How you make me miss Michigan. I always forget about those parts...my favorite parts, aside from wherever Ellie is.

I cannot imagine why you didn't climb down...? Perhaps because you have to climb back up??

Pretty color Gloss. Show me the shawl, woman!

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Jen.... Those pictures are absolutely beautiful!!!! Makes me want to be out on the water right now.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home