Monday, May 29, 2006

Troubles

It's hooooottt. High 80s and pounding sun and yet I'm outside taking pictures (see harsh shadow in photo for proof). And winding yarn.

First, the sad news. After a preliminary stitch of my scoop du jour sleeves, I've decided the sweater is a lost cause and frogged it all. I just don't like Cascade 220 that much. I really didn't like it in such a bulky sweater. All is not lost, though - I'm thinking of overdyeing the yarn and using it to make a bag. Of some sort. (Not sure it will take 6 hanks though.) Maybe a felted rug with some funky whipstitching. Or maybe I'll trade it away.

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon dyeing yarn and making spaghetti - multitasking. I had some pretty good luck. I made one skein of reds with a bit of black thrown in (it turned the red purple, but oh well). The silver looks pink. The whole thing is dried and reskeined and going into a bath of solid red today, just for kicks.

The other skein is supposed to be chartreuse, red and purple, but the chartreuse came out a funky, awful, retina-burning neon green. There are no words to describe the awfulness of this color. My camera even paled at the thought of trying to reproduce it. So although I really like the color distribution in this skein, it's going into a bath of gold - weak gold, or maybe lemonade kool-aid - to tone down the everloving green.

I mean, this green is craptacular. It defies explanation.

3 & 4

So I'm off to start dyeing yarn again!

5 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

I like them both!! My dyeing is going bad today, tried to do to many colors at once, I have 1 more skein and that is it! UGH!

1:26 PM  
Blogger silverarrowknits said...

They both look nice, but I can imagine how the green could be a whole lot worse in real life. At least you can dye over it!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Good thing you didn't mix up the yarn dyeing and spaghetti!

8:53 PM  
Blogger strangelittlemama said...

What yarn are you using?

8:59 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I like the chartreuse and raspberry... must be the inner four year old in me coming out...

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home