Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Happy packages and more

If you're here looking for Harlot pictures, welcome! click here.

Let me share with you one more reason why you should order yarn from Julia. (Yes, I know this means less yarn for me, but girl's got talent!) This happy yarn arrived for me today:

Antigone

It's called Antigone, and it's my favorite Vesper colorway so far. I really, really love that shade of...raspberry? not sure what you call it - it's sort of a violet-red (according to the crayon box). I love how she combines colors.

(I don't think she knows she sent a present for Fee, either - the tissue paper will be well loved by a certain kitty.) It was just in time to take up the space in my stash made by starting a new pair of socks in another Vesper yarn:

Start of new sock

This is Knit and Tonic. The sock is a weird (MG™) variation of the round toe - I cast on 8 stitches using Queen Kahuna's Aloha cast-on (opens pdf). If you can do a long-tail you can do this one. It's awesome.

So instead of casting on 8 and joining (messy hole) I cast on 8, that's 4 per needle, using the Aloha method and then just increased normally for a round toe. I'm using a weird ribbing pattern - k3, p1. I'm not sure yet if i like it or if it will fit. (I just realized I took a picture of the bottom of the sock!)

Here's a picture of the completed Koigu socks:

Finished Koigu

I'm warning you, if you decide to make this pattern, these are not the most slimming socks ever constructed. But so comfy!

That's Fee in the corner. Here's Grady:

Honk-shu

I never get tired of watching cats sleep.

One last thing - remember the Snakes on a Plane song contest I told you about? The Codenames are #5! If you are so inclined, go here to listen to their song and here to sign up and vote for them (Tagworld doesn't send spam). The easiest way to find them from the voting page is to choose Alternative from the drop-down menu and By Name, then T. Look for the pink and green costumes. They'll be on the CD on the way to Hollywood for sure, but extra insurance never hurt. (PS, they also have a tribute song to Evel Knievel, how cool is that?)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice pic with the harlot!!!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks!

11:29 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Mmmm... Antigone....

No matter how quickly I pressed the refresh button on my browser, I missed out on the Antigone! Can't wait to see it knitted up.

P.S - what a beautiful sleepy kitty!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Betty said...

Nice sock yarn! I am totally addicted to sock knitting. Husband saw my one completed sock and asked that I knit him a pair.

Our pic on Harlot's site is fantastic!

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that raspberry yarn!
I've never read your blog before, it's good. In an older entry you mentioned neck problems. I was making mine worse by leaning my head down while knitting. Also, as a side-sleeper, I was curling my head down. Just by straightening up while falling asleep I've gradually trained myself to not 'curl' my neck. It has made a world of difference. There is a book, 'Pain Free' by Pete Egoscue that details simple exercises for neck and back pain that really work. It's all about having 'balanced' muscles, not having one side or set too much stronger than another.
I hope you show that raspberry yarn knitted up soon!

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks look great! Love that Vesper colorway, too.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Lene said...

Thank you for pointing out the Aloha method. Have to try that one!

And I just love to see socks being knit!

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Now, if I can just remember what I did to get that rasberry color.....
I love your niddy noddy! That sucker is HUGE! your socks are beautiful!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Nice vespers and Koigu socks. Thanks for the links to the Niddy noddy, too.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yummy, yummy Vesper...

The Koigu socks are lovely and look cushy warm.

Hi Grady! You look all worn out. What have you been up to?

3:28 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Oooooooh... I have been trying to decide which sock yarn to use next, and now that I see your sock, it might just have to be the Vesper that I have! ("Neopolitan" according to her, but it is Big Pink Cookie yarn to me!) Your Knit & Tonic is beautiful!

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home