Monday, May 01, 2006

Four bucks!

My homemade niddy-noddy, thanks to a super tutorial (go to this link and click on the "how to" link in the sidebar) and some clever flirting. Here's how I made my GIANT one...

Homemade niddy-noddy

1 60" length of 1/2" PVC pipe
2 T joins with threads, 1/2"
2 single threaded pieces (to join to the pipes, they are smooth on one end, threaded on the other, in the picture it's right under the T join), 1/2"
4 caps (threadless) for the ends, 1/2"

Flirt a little and have the guy cut you 1 18" and 4 6" lengths of pipe (I got one 36", but it's too loooong).

Put a single threaded piece on each end and screw in the T join. Put one 6" piece into each side of the T and a cap on each end. Do this on both sides.

No need to glue! It works GREAT. I can wind 2-yard skeins by just looping it around once, or 4-yard skeins by using it as a proper niddy-noddy.

I Kool-Aid dyed some yarn tonight - I used lemon-lime, starfruit, watermelon cherry and ice blue somethingberry, each with a sprinkle of black cherry. I just painted all over the yarn - one skein of Paton's Classic Wool in natural wound into a two-yard hank. I've been toying with the idea of making the skein a larger size so that the color repeats seem a bit more random - this was a test, with absolutely no rhyme or reason to how I poured the dye on it.

I got the mother lode of Kool-Aid tonight at Kroger. I am usually a Publix chick, but they had eight million kinds of Kool-Aid. I spent a whopping $3.46:
The Mother Lode

Speaking of dyeing, check out Kirsten's pretty yarn (it reminds me of a Van Gogh painting of irises, I think). And I got my match for the dye swap, so that probably means my match has me.

So hello, dye swapping coolio! I'm glad you're here!

(Oh, and PS, I finished my second sock - wonder if Strange Little Mama is done with hers yet...)

8 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Jen,

It looks professional! We have mango Koolaid here in DE - it's a bright yellow-orange colour.

Jo

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Dye-o-rama pal checking in on your fabulous blog. Can't wait to make you great handpainted sock yarn!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yay!!!! Hi Pal!!!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wow, your homemade niddy noddy is so much spiffier than mine. Hmm. I think I need some caps for the ends...

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pal! If you've read the latest update on the Dye-o-rama blog, we haven't received the Favorite Colors listing. I would love it if you could write what your favorite colors are, or if you can show me what you favorite colors are; maybe a piece of patterned fabric or favorite book cover. Be creative, be boring, but let me know . . . soon! Thanks.

3:58 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Great kool aid haul :)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I read that all the colors got lost, Pallie! Terrible, but I have no idea what I actually said. I'll try again.

My favorite colors are ... light pink/rose; variegated golds/yellows; variegated spring greens; tiffany or robin's egg blue; the dark pinks in the antigone yarn above; chocolate brown; apple green. I am not keen on navy, blue-reds or purples (though lavender is probably ok).

Generally I seem to like color combinations where a warm, bright color is combined with browns or tans. I tend to like muted colors that are on the lighter side as opposed to primaries, and I also very much love variegated monochromatics (but I have no idea how to dye yarn to do that, so it's not like I'm expecting you to, just chatting).

If you need a GMail invite so you have an anonymous email...click Kirsten's Gluten-Free Knitting blog in the link and leave her a comment - she'll hook you up. :)

I'm so excited!

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! Will get to work. I will look into the gmail too!

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home