Monday, May 15, 2006

A is for Absorba

I'm finally posting a picture of my progress on Absorba, the giant superhero bath mat from Mason-Dixon Knitting:

Absorba the Great

The yarn is four (!) strands of Peaches n Creme worsted - I bought two cones and with the help of my scale and ballwinder I wound each cone off into four sort of similarly sized balls. While watching The Firm. I don't remember what happened in the movie, really, but I remember weighing the yarn and trying to decided if it was a 50 gram ball or a 60. And then through no fault of hers, I happened to see that Grumperina has a digital food scale instead of the sproingy - analog? - thing I picked up at Target for $10. (In my defense I must say this was beforrrrre I figured out how useful a scale is to a knitter, so next time I get a Bed-Bath-&-Beyond-20%-off-one-item coupon you know what I'll be getting.)

So really, the cotton isn't wound into anything even remotely resembling consistent sizes, but you know what? I am knitting log cabin. I can do what I want. I can tie knots and hide them if I want, or I can cut the ball of yarn prematurely to match up with the others, or knit on anyway, or...

my sister-in-law Pennie now joins the esteemed list of Hospitalized Family Members. Pennie is my age (35) and she was feeling badly for about a week. She thought her asthma was acting up because she was having trouble breathing. No. That would have been the "easy" way. Turns out she has a blood clot in her leg - from her groin to her ankle. The breathing problems came from blood pooling in her lungs. On Wednesday last week she was doubled over in pain in her abdomen, and her leg swelled up and turned purple. She's been hospitalized ever since. After two days in CCU and two more in a regular room, she's doing a little better but not much (apparently these things take a really long time to go away).

So yeah, tonight I bought a box of Zantac. I don't do real well with alcohol, so my medication of choice is ... um ... antacid. I'm such a type-A personality. Most of the time I thrive on the stress of deadlines and the great big unknown of not having any idea what we're going to get when the photographer sets up the camera, but this health stuff is for the birds.

I mean really.

In other news, I found my notes for Vesper Sock 1 and was disappointed to find I'd knitted one short-row heel with a 9/14/9 stitch split, and one (yesterday) with a 10/12/10 split. Before you tell me I shouldn't frog - I did. The second heel was longer, and by golly the 9/14/9 fits. And a short row heel doesn't take any time AND I was here anyway so I just reknit it. It's already done. Took an hour.

Now where is that Zantac???

PS: News flash! Now you can make $330 profit in four weeks selling box-store yarn to all your friends for more than the box store sells it! Don't miss out on this great opportunity to make Lion Brand some money.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bathmat right there, yep the super cool one is probably the main reason I want to buy that darn book. I DO NOT jump on book bandwagons, I still don't own a copy of stich n bitch but I want that book for some reason darn it! Aargh. Thanks for twisting my arm!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

It's such a great book - you will never regret buying it. It's inspiration to do all kinds of fun things without worrying too much about patterns. A good book about structure. I love it!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Oh my goodness, that is quite the bath mat. I am a little shocked about the blood clot - hope all is well.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That bath mat looks great! Hmm, maybe I need one... Hope your SIL keeps improving!!

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law...how scary. I hope she continues to do well and it goes away soon!!

your mat looks great!! I wanted to make that too from the book.

.♥.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Oh, good grief. Poor Pennie! And how long is 'a long time'? Zantac. LOL. Well, it's better for you than the other choices.

The bathmat looks great and now I guess I'll have to buy a copy of that darn book myself.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Thanks for the info on the cotton (as in 2 cones :) I have one cone and will get another and attack it! Yours is looking good! And yeah, its yours and whose gonna inspect it...(well you hehe!)

Hoping Pennie gets well soon!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Wow! I'm impressed by the bathmat! I'm still resisting that book...but....

11:58 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I think it can take up to 8 months to fully heal (Pennie's leg). No updates yet, but maybe tonight.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home