Saturday, May 13, 2006

Green

I'm still seeing green. Remember in The Fifth Element Chris Tucker's character kept saying "green" as in "cool"? Green.

About the frogging - it's tricky! Read Ashley's tutorial on how to do it. Sharp scissors. Patience. Even still, I wasted about 50 yards of yarn by accidentally cutting the selvedge instead of the thread (but don't worry, I saved it for seaming).

This particular sweater was even trickier because it had a kind of rolled hem. I don't know the technical term for it, but they picked up stitches at the selvedge on the front side, knitted about 8 rows, then folded it over and crocheted it down on the reverse side. It's a great edge, but so time-consuming to rip/cut.

The other thing to remember is that even if you get the deal of the century on an $8 GAP sweater, you are going to do approximately $250 worth of ripping, skeining, washing, winding and weaving in ends.

Which is, in the end, why I may well decide not to make the Hourglass Sweater with this yarn. Because those smaller balls of yarn are about 50g each, and the sweater is knitted in the round. Yep, you heard me. Think of the endless weaving of ends with no selvedge to hide them in. And it's cotton, so no tricky spit-splicing allowed.

So I'm still looking for patterns. I'd kind of like something cardigan-y because those are more versatile to me. I'll have to figure something out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

(pssssst.... do you mean Chris Tucker?)

10:32 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yes, I knew that looked wrong! Thanks!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's a LOT of work, even if it is gorgeous yarn...

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home