Friday, May 12, 2006

51 degrees!

In May! I am so lucky today! (I really love cool mornings - it's the Michigan in me.)

Here at long last is a snap of the baby cardi I've been working on:

Baby Cardigan

This was a complicated project for me. It involved gauge problems with the yarn, massive amounts of frogging, gauge problems with the sleeve/in the round needles and the body needles, problems with keeping my seed stitch straight. As it stands it's got some pretty huge honking holes which are in the same place (that is, in the front on one side, and in the back on the other), plus it needs some truly punishing blocking to even out the stitches.

What it means is, I have knitted socks so consistently for such a long time that my purling stinks. My purling is a lot looser than my knitting, and when you add in a yarn without much give like Blue Sky Organic Cotton, the result is - your body gauge is off from the pattern and your sleeves have to be knitted on a needle two sizes smaller than the body. EEK.

I gave in to materialism last night and exchanged my old-fashioned digital cable box for a DVR box. The guide was off so I couldn't quite set it up the way I wanted to, but I did manage to catch most of My Name is Earl. I set it to record House and CI. I'll find others - Lost, AI, Medium...Crossing Jordan. (Why do I even like that show?)

I am no longer slave to network programming! I can tape what I want.

Oh, and I ordered two more skeins of All Things Heather - Leprechaun and Vacation. She's got the yarn posted through Monday at her site for sale, and whatever's left goes to KPixie on Monday. So if you want some, buy some!

(Must stop buying yarn. I just got a great deal of Mama-E as well, and at this rate I'll never make all the socks I want to, despite what Stephanie says about sock yarn not counting in the stash. At this rate I'll have at least 15 skeins in the queue!)

So, yeah. Get on up.

7 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Cute sweater pattern! I think it's just what I was looking for.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I am getting ready to go on a Memorial Day-Labor Day yarn diet, my Summer of Stash. So of course, I just signed up for Sundara'a sock yarn club...

8:14 AM  
Blogger Betty said...

Cute baby sweater. Sorry it's been tormenting you. Your sock yarn stash must be incredible, as I do love everything you pick.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Betty! :)

Steph, glad you like it! If I had gotten gauge or used a more forgiving yarn this would have been done in a week.

Liz...I have a sock yarn stash but the rest is really lacking...I need to work on my stash!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, that's really cute! Heh, I had the same problem with the baby bolero (same yarn). I should've switched to a larger needle size for knitting the sleeves in the round, to match my wacky back and forth gauge...

11:24 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I am so mad at Crossing Jordan for killing off Pollack I could spit.

That baby sweater is adorable! Cotton can be a pain to keep stitches even (all yarn actually causes that problem for me, I must be the World's Most Inconsistent Knitter) but blocking and wear straightens even the worst out.

Loose purling seems to be a common problem, that's where the old adage of never ending on a knit row comes from. So of course, I purl much tighter than I knit.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Am I the only one who thought Pollack was cute? In a weird lunkhead kinda way? I can't believe he's gone! :(

Thanks for the info!

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home