Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Contest!

I'm running my first-ever contest on behalf of my superfriend gal pal Kirsten.

Many years ago Kirsten was my roomie - she lived in Nashville and we had a nice apartment with a happy cat named Casper. She's like a sister to me. In 1999, Kirsten left Nashville to go live on a ship. This was not for the faint of heart - small cabins, toilets that flushed with seawater, constant seasickness, several typhoons and virtually no personal space made for quite an adventure!

This ship is part of a christian ministry, but the kind of christians you'd like if you aren't one - not the "we're righteous, you're not" crowd. More like the "how can we serve you" crowd. The ship is a bookstore, basically - everything from growing a garden to C.S. Lewis can be found in it. They also did some church planting, church encouraging, and sponsored cultural events. I think she went to about 17 different countries in Asia.

Kirs came back in 2001 and moved to Portland. Around the same time, this ministry bought another ship to refit and send out on similar tasks. The ship is in drydock in Croatia next month, and Kirsten's taking a team of 7 people to sweat, lift heavy things, and work on machinery.

That's where the contest comes in. Disclaimer: This contest was MY idea - not Kirsten's (she's not a moneygrubber.) I thought of it this morning while putting on makeup. I made her hook up the PayPal before I even told her what I was doing.

There's no other way to say this - Kirsten needs money for the Croatia trip. Around $1100 total, and she's not even half there yet. Maybe little by little we can help her out. (Please don't be mad at me for asking for your help.) If you can make a donation of $7 or more to her PayPal account (by clicking her blog and using the button in the upper right of the sidebar) by midnight on Wednesday, May 24th, you'll be entered into a random-number drawing contest to win one of the following fabulous prizes:

1. One 440-yard skein of coveted Vesper sock yarn in Tartan and a copy of Knitting Rules;
Tartan

or

2. One skein of beautifully handpainted Treadsoft sock yarn in orange and pink and a Chaos mix cd (donated by the lovely Chris) (Cat not included).
Chaos and Treadsoft

or

3. One rockin' 360-yard skein of Socks That Rock sock yarn in Pebble Beach and a $12.50 Starbucks gift card (donated by the lovely Kirsten).
Socks That Rock

(Prizes may also contain additional little goodies.) (There will be three winners.)

There will also be a tasty prize for the largest donation, separate from the number drawing.

If you don't have a PayPal account, you can still donate - just click "Read My Letter" in the sidebar and it will tell you where to send a check.

There's a link in her sidebar to a pdf that tells a little more than I can in this space, in her own words.

Can you help? For about the price of a skein of yarn you can help my friend help others. (Any money collected over what she needs will go to the team's account.)

It's a very worthy cause, and I am most appreciative of any of your efforts to help her. If you are able to donate, send me an email at meangirl AT comcast DOT net letting me know you did and I'll enter you in the contest. (I'll get the biggest donation winner from PayPal itself.)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen is the best! you knitter-types ROCK my world!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Rev. Josh said...

This is a great thing, and I thought you might like to know that I linked it on my blog, which my congregation knows about (some of them even read it) I don't know if it will help, but it couldn't hurt, right?

11:28 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks!!!

12:09 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

You're such a lovely friend to do something like that. I know she'll make it!

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put in a donation of 6.98 - because I want to help out, but don't want to be in the contest. Kirsten - rock on!

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't seem to get the "paypal donate" button to work. I've never done it before, though...so perhaps I'm clueless? I would love to help out, but I can't seem to figure out how in the world to do so! yipes!

and what a great idea to help her out!! :)

.♥.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home