Thursday, March 30, 2006

Round 3

(Dangit!)

I frogged those super happy cable socks. I made an error in judgment - I thought the ribbing at the top was the problem, but it wasn't; it was the non-stretchiness of the cable itself. So it pulled in, and it bothered me.

Grady looked at me like I was crazy while I was ripping it out. And while the math wouldn't have been too difficult to get it back on track (just do 10 repeats instead of 9 and leave out the shaping, that would have been great), I decided that after cabling approximately 90 times already in this pattern with jack to show for it, I could not abide the thought of attempting more cables.

So I decided to take a lesson from the masters and make the Baby Cable Rib Sock from Sensational Knitted Socks. (Scout got me thinking about this by making Welt Fantastics - but I just finished a pair of lace socks plus one of the baby socks, so I picked a different pattern).

I also found a great new free pattern at Knitting Pure and Simple for a baby hoodie. It's so cute, and since it calls for DK yarn I thought for sure I could use my SWTC Bamboo. I bought it ages ago for a different pattern but it turned out I got the wrong yarn. And then I had to SIGN ONLINE to find the washing instructions (note to SWTC: This is inEXcusable) and found out after I got my little bag of supplies ready to go that it is HAND WASH. I don't want to give my friends hand-wash-only baby gifts. I would make them for myself, but I don't want to trouble anyone.

So tonight, IF I get my issue finished, I'll be over at my favorite yarn shop digging around for DK weight washable stuff. Maybe there will be some Lorna's Laces, or maybe Cascade Pima Tencel. As a last resort I'll place an order to The Store That Shall Not Be Named. You know who they are, and I figure since they had such abject paranoia at the idea of a little upscale yarn boutique being confused with them, I'll have to avoid trouble and stop using their name altogether.

Who's with me?

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Bummer about the socks! But those baby cables are lovely...

Have you ever used Emu DK? It's a reasonably priced, no frills superwash wool distributed by SK Kertzer. One of my favorite yarns for baby things and DK socks.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I've heard Emu superwash is good stuff!

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home