Wednesday, March 29, 2006

It's late

But I managed to frog and rework a lot of the Sock in Progress (yes, That One, shhh) today while the tech guy wired up my computer - back from the shop. I decided I want this one to come up higher on my leg than I have with other pairs. This meant that in order to have a 6" cuff I'd need to have a starting diameter of 10" instead of the 9" that I need for the sock. My gauge is 7 st/in and the pattern is a 7-stitch repeat, so I didn't even have to do any maths, just think of my times tables.

So, obviously there was an issue with how to do shaping. I've never actually done a pattern with calf shaping before but it had to be done, because that 10" around my 9" ankle was going to be a problem otherwise (all together now: socks work on negative ease). I wanted all the shaping to be in the cuff - that is, once I got down to the place where the cabling started, the # of stitches would have to be 63. So - decrease 7 (not a nice even number, but 7) stitches down over the last 1" of the cuff.

Oh, and I got 7 rows to the inch. So I picked a spot in the middle of the back where the pattern repeated once and decreased two stitches, one at each edge of the repeat, every other round 3 times, then did a k2tog as my last decrease.

The result is a rather sneaky little wedge-shaped bit of fabric that doesn't precisely match the rest, but if you didn't know what it was, you'd think it was part of the pattern:

Back of Cabled Sock

Front of Cabled Sock

(My only complaint is with my halfassed ribbing, which surely could use a stint at reform school.)

The coolest part: it fits. I'm not one of those knitters who Apparently I am one of those knitters who cannot follow a pattern properly. I can name a few that I've actually managed to knit...verbatim accurately according to pattern, but this usually doesn't apply to a) socks or b) anything that does not have arms, legs and stuffing.

I guess I've discovered something new about myself. I hope it worked. Not sure you can see what I'm talking about, or even if it's "proper" sock shaping.

This pattern really doesn't bear any resemblance to the Nancy Bush one anymore besides cast-on number and stitch repeat, but I am still looking to her for inspiration.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen in Ormond Beach said...

Hi There - just saw your email on Knit List and thought I'd pop over to check out your blog. Your design is great!
About he EOP heel, I find it very unstretchy as well - but that's what makes it more stable (not to mention, pretty) as heels go. As far as comfort goes, guess that's a personal preferrence - they don't bother me at all :)

2:31 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Who cares if it's "proper" Nancy Bush - it looks very cool. Clever with the calf shaping, too.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they should called the "7" Socks? :o) I like the little decrease...let's call it a design element...

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home