Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Morning

What I'm trying to think about today -

for the heel flap on my new socks I decided to make an Eye of Partridge heel flap. It's super, super cool looking and really shows off the Koigu, and I figure it's at least as sturdy as a regular slipped-stitch heel flap.

But, after 16? 18? rows into it, I see why people don't knit heels like this on everything. It's almost impossible to count rows (and I'm really not that skilled with a row counter, unless I'm doing a 10-row repeat that's different every row and I'm hanging on to my needles with white knuckles, and even then I get lost). So yeah, keeping track of what row I'm on is hard. And because the lil pattern is so subtle, I didn't notice one mistake until about three rows later. Riiiip. I had straight columns instead of the lovely diagonals you see here:

Heel flap

That's a lot closer to the true colours of the yarn as well. If you want to know how to do it just Google "Eye of Partridge" - it's really easy and they can explain it better than I can.

My ear hurts today. Stupid Singulair. I did the Neti pot and everything, let's see if it helps.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jen,

I'm back to working on my sock, thanks to you! I'm doing the heel flap of DD's socks. We'll see...Love the color of the sock yarn you chose. What is it? Which Koigu do you buy for socks? Thanks.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Keri said...

Delurking - I love your sock...colour, pattern, I can;t wait to see it completed.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Bummer about your ear. Ouch...

The EoP heel looks great! I I've done exactly one EoP heel. It was so unstretchy and tight (probably as much to do with the yarn as the heel itself) that I did the other sock with a regular slip stitch heel.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

It's KPPPM, colour 315L. :) I'm so infatuated!

Eek, unstretchy...I've been thinking about frogging and restarting anyway, because I'd like a little more leg in the sock, and that means more ribbing up at the top. I'm thinking it over. It fits, but I have big calf muscles and so I'd need to do some shaping to have something longer than about 2".

9:21 AM  
Blogger Ev said...

I've done eop heel flaps on numerous socks and have no problem with them being unstretchy or uncomfortable. When they're on my feet, I can't feel any difference from the regular slip stitch heel flap. It will be a little less stretch, yes, because of it's actual construction, but it also doesn't pull in like the regular heel flap does. Does that help??

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm no good with the row counting either. And I feel like I'm reliving your Olympic experience with this sock...it's making me tired.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

With Elfine? You mean I'm not crazy?

Oh wow.

THANKS for the help on the flap too!

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home