Thursday, March 02, 2006

Ripped & Reknit

The warmer. I started it again today after knitting a gauge swatch on 9's in which I got four st to the inch. Last time I knitted it on 7s, because she said she knitted tightly on 8s. (I'm still not convinced I did the right thing there, once again, the magic of dyslexia. I puzzled over it the entire three hours I knit it.)

So...this one is...a bit loose. Just a bit. It is going to fit, but it's not as nicely knitted from a purely aesthetic fabric point of view. The yarn was softer and snugglier on 7s. So I may use an 8.

Trouble is, I don't know if this yarn can stand to be frogged one more time. I know the 8-ply cable twist is the beauty of this yarn, but it shreds. So we'll see. I'm plowing ahead with one, about half done and I still have zero idea of how to construct a gauntlet...

I remember on Kate Gilbert's Gifted mitten pattern, she has you knit the mitten flat and seam up the edge. It seems like the thumb gusset is worked in the middle of the piece and then seamed with a crochet hook. That probably isn't exactly what I need, but it has suddenly occurred to me to put the gusset in the middle of the flat square instead of on the edges. I wonder...I would increase out to x, then do ribbing for 11 rows.

Huh. You know, it's sneaky and it just might work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Sneaky, subversive knitting. Sounds fun!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

This whole gauge thing messes with my mind sometimes. I usually knit very tight and have to go up to loosen it up... but it drives me bonkers when I have to try size 6, then 7, then 8... I wish I were better at guessing this.

Jen - your cats have the most beautifully coloured eyes...

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home